Spotter protection

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
I recently picked up the little Swarovski ATC for backpack hunting and I'd like to protect my investment. Looking for suggestions on what to use. Neoprene cover vs. Spotter case or maybe something else. My mind goes to the neoprene cover but I'm open to any suggestions, brands or DIY.

Thanks!

nobody

WKR
I’m not sure if anybody is making a cover for them yet, but Marsupial would be my first thought. They make stuff for the BTX, I would bet a handful of peanut M&M’s they’re working on something. That would be the tree I works bark at

I've used my Swaro ATM20-60x65HD spotter for 12 seasons without a cover over the body. I do use a beer can neoprene Koozie over the eye piece as the Swaro factory version falls off in the pack.

The scope looks good yet as it is rubber armored as it comes from Swaro....is your ATC armored? I carry my scope in a separate part of my pack, either the inside tube for the water bladder (hate water bladders) or an outside side pocket on the Kifaru Reckoning. I never put a tripod that isn't cased or any other metal next to it. Wrapping in a shirt or putting it in a wool sock is also an option for the times you need to isolate it.

I once bought a King's Camo case for the Swaro but hated the bulk it added plus the extra weight so never used it.

OP
Chape1rm

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
If it we’re me I would modify one of these neoprene covers so that I can access the focus knob:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/lenscoat-swarovski-atc-17-40x56-angled-spotting-scope-cover.html

I use a Kite Skua neoprene cover on my 65ats, but it doesn’t look like kite makes one for the ATC. If not having it covered while on a tripod is not an issue then I would look at the removable covers like a marsupial:

I emailed Lenscoat and they replied almost immediately. They said the cover is cut for the focus and adjustment wheel and it also works with the clam shell accessory. Hard to see it in the pics on thier site. Might just be the route I go down.

I like how protective marsupials gear is but with the size of the spotter I could easily toss it in my pack or shelter up when things get western.

OP
Chape1rm

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
I've used my Swaro ATM20-60x65HD spotter for 12 seasons without a cover over the body. I do use a beer can neoprene Koozie over the eye piece as the Swaro factory version falls off in the pack.

The scope looks good yet as it is rubber armored as it comes from Swaro....is your ATC armored? I carry my scope in a separate part of my pack, either the inside tube for the water bladder (hate water bladders) or an outside side pocket on the Kifaru Reckoning. I never put a tripod that isn't cased or any other metal next to it. Wrapping in a shirt or putting it in a wool sock is also an option for the times you need to isolate it.

I once bought a King's Camo case for the Swaro but hated the bulk it added plus the extra weight so never used it.
I believe it's armored. Appears to be the same coating as my EL binos.

I like the wool sock tip. Lord knows I have plenty of odd socks laying around waiting for a purpose.

I did the heavy old wool socks guys use seems like the best price and very durable cheap to replace, cut where magnification is

OP
Chape1rm

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
@Chape1rm Do you run extra armor on your binos? If not, why do you feel your spotter needs it and your binos don't?
If the Spotter doesn't fit my needs I'll be selling it for something that does. I'd like to try to keep it mint until I can make that determination.

Outwest

WKR
I did the heavy old wool socks guys use seems like the best price and very durable cheap to replace, cut where magnification is
Yep a good blend sock from the bargain bin works well too. Put the calf section over the eyepiece and you can roll it down to use and then roll back up for extra eyepiece protection.

Most of us probably baby our optics a bit more than necessary but I like the piece of mind. Especially when it’s riding in my pack and cinched down against other objects.

Clarktar

WKR
@as.ks.ak makes some GREAT scope covers. Made me one out of neoprene for my Leica 65. I'll add some photos

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk