Spotter for elk hunt?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm figuring out my gear list for an upcoming CO OTC archery elk hunt and have a couple questions.

The country is open enough to glass. I've got a Nikon ED 50 w/Velbon tripod. Total weight is about 3 lbs 6 oz.

Is it worth taking on an elk hunt? I'm willing to shoot ANY legal bull and will shoot a cow halfway or more through the week.

Also, I've thought about getting a tripod adapter for my Swaro EL 10X42's. These are $90-100 everywhere I look. Are they worth the money?

I think my options are:

- Take binos with tripod adapter, spotter, and tripod.
- Take binos, spotter, and tripod.
- Take binos with tripod adapter and tripod.
- Take binos

Which would you do? I don't want to take extra weight and not use it.

Gman

WKR
I'll tell you what I'm doing. :) I'm like you, no trophy elk hunting. If it's legal, I'm taking it. I'll be leaving the spotter but I will be taking a tripod for the binos. Like you, I use the 10x42's and I feel you can glass forever and much more effectively via a tripod. I found the outdoorsman's tripod adapter in the classifieds of a forum but I think it's worth the cash. I may even look for a ultra light small tripod that just get's it done. Right now I'm at 2lbs on the tripod. Leaving the swaro spotter at home -- but I will be using it for pronghorn and my goat hunt this year.

2rocky

WKR
I hate the feeling of gruntin' up to a high spot and finding I can see 5 miles, and not have a spotter.

dotman

WKR
Take the spotter, the little 50mm should be perfect for elk, that is why I picked up the little minox. Not much of a weight penalty to have glass that reaches out a little further.