Spot Hogg vs Black Gold thoughts

Hey All, I’ve been a spot hogg guy for a while. Was using the double pin for a while. Really liked the vertical pin and sight picture. I also did quite a few changes to bow draw weights for a shoulder rehab and arrows weights. Loved that it took all of 5 minutes to set tape and shoot.

I recently picked up a triple stack, but don’t love it. With the change in length and weight its really front heavy. I added weight to my side bar to balance out, but now my bow just feels really heavy. A weight test confirmed: triple stack is 6oz more than the double pin, then I was running 3 ounces on my side bar. So 9 oz difference for the extra pin.

Now I also had a missed opportunity this year. Called in an elk, to 12ish yards and stepped in front of the tree i was concealed by. He stopped; think he heard me shift my feet as I drew; the wind swirled and he trotted off but he stopped at what I knew to be 60 broadside. With 20/30/40 I did not gap shoot. I thought about letting down and redrawing but he left. Now i’m thinking of going to a 5pin with slider again.

I’m seeing these black gold mountains lites that look great. Light weight and a 5 pin. Has anyone made this switch. Thoughts?
I have a fast Eddie right now, started as a triple stack, then a single, now back to 3, haha

My previous 2 sights were the mbg whitetail, then a mtn lite that’s on my wife’s bow.

The mtn lite is my favorite sight, and I’ll be shooting one again next year… it just seems to be perfect for a hunting sight, no downside, good features, user friendly, lightweight and I just like mbg pins better, their little purple plastic witchcraft technology works!

I have mostly shot spot hogg forever, mainly fixed 5 pins (real deal and hunter, but also a couple fast eddies, I prefer the mbg sights and they have been flawless in use. I hunted the mtn lite at least 2 years, but I think 3, and like it better than anything I have used.

I’m going for a custom 3 pin, top .019, bottom 2 .010, all green, my ideal sight

Like the BG 5-pin sliders on a short base. Used BG sights since 2007. Have a couple sliders and they work well for me and have proven adequately tough for mountain hunting over the past 7 years.

TheTone

WKR
Only BG mover I’ve messed with was sticky and harder to dial than I expected. It could have been some operator error but I don’t think so

I much prefer spot Hogg finish over BG. My spot Hogg are still dark black at over a decade old, most BG tend to develop a purplish tint to them it seems. Maybe doesn’t matter to some but it would drive me nuts if I had one

Last edited:

Long Cut

WKR
I’ve owned and enjoyed both.
BG has pin brightness & lightweight
SH has more variations, built like tanks, better dial system

If SH had BG’s photochromatic fibers, they would control the market.

wadegarrett

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like at least some folks share my thoughts as well - like the BG pins on the SH bomb-proof frame. I haven't pulled the trigger on fabbing this concept yet but it's still in the back of my head. Basically a SH rod with dovetail to mate to the BG housing. I'd be interested in thoughts/comments.

Long Cut

WKR
Seems like at least some folks share my thoughts as well - like the BG pins on the SH bomb-proof frame. I haven't pulled the trigger on fabbing this concept yet but it's still in the back of my head. Basically a SH rod with dovetail to mate to the BG housing. I'd be interested in thoughts/comments.

I see where you’re getting at, but cost & durability wise you’re better off buying a Dual Trac and being done with it.
Once you start modifying that SH, you take away its best feature which is its durability.

Imo the sight housings are too different to intermingle without significant modifications.

60x

WKR
There is no comparison when it come to the two. BG is one of the few I seen ruin a kodiak goat hunt because of the key plastic parts. You can beat a goat with a Spot Hogg and never mess it up. Also the MRT on the Hogg is a huge improvement

WCB

WKR
I've had 3 Black Gold sights and have had no issues with any of them. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either one. Besides me throwing my bow down a hill and busting the crap out of one I have never had any concern on durability of the MBG.

As for pins I find zero reason to have a 20 and 30 yard pin. Top pin is dead on at 27 yards. So my pin set up is technically 27 yards, 40, and 50 as my slider. If you went to 4 pins that will get you to 60.

Long Cut

WKR
There is no comparison when it come to the two. BG is one of the few I seen ruin a kodiak goat hunt because of the key plastic parts. You can beat a goat with a Spot Hogg and never mess it up. Also the MRT on the Hogg is a huge improvement

I dropped my bow & MBG out of a tree from 19’ and it landed on the sight. Absolutely no damage was done to the sight. Matter of fact I still own and use the sight 6 years later.

They’re both durable brands with SH being slightly more durable, but I’d trust either on a once in a lifetime hunt. Personally, I’d prefer the MBG for the better fibers in low visibility conditions.

60x

WKR
I dropped my bow & MBG out of a tree from 19’ and it landed on the sight. Absolutely no damage was done to the sight. Matter of fact I still own and use the sight 6 years later.

They’re both durable brands with SH being slightly more durable, but I’d trust either on a once in a lifetime hunt. Personally, I’d prefer the MBG for the better fibers in low visibility conditions.
Whatever works for you. This isn’t an isolated issue and not to mention the wheels stripping. No doubt their pins are bright but so are the new ones on spot hogg. I personally wouldn’t trust them on a bet but eh we all have choices and opinions.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Fast Eddie 3 pin and a MBG Pure 3 pin. The BG developed a rattle and then the dial stopped working. It just slipped and wouldn't grab the track to slide anymore. I sent it in and they rebuilt it for nothing but the cost of shipping. I put the SH on while I was waiting for it to come back, and it's still on my bow. Both are great companies, but I think the SH is just a bit stronger build.

Reactions: 60x
I have triple stack on 6 inch bar. Tough but seems like a lot going on. Also have single pin black gold on another bow, love simplicity but not 1 pin

I’ve looked at HHA and passed.

For me it is the SH or BG. I’m considering a 5 pin fast eddy. But also looks like I can’t convert the one I have to a 5 pin housing? I have the SH double pin that has a bar style mount coming off the pin housing. Looks like you can make a 5 pin a single pin for the off season?

I like the Black Gold mountain lite because it is light. Not that weight is the biggest deal; but after realizing how heavy my triple stack is I am more conscious. I also like the idea of being able to see the tape while at draw. I have sent a couple arrows through my fence from not double checking the dial
I prefer my SH Hogg Father double pin to most others. I prefer the heavier overbuilt aspect to it as it tends to break less in field than the others I have run. If you want to convert a single pin to a double, triple, or 5 pin, you just need to buy the housing you want and swap out at the bar.

I have sent a handful of arrows into the dirt after not dialing yardage. Just worked on my preshot walkthrough and have drastically reduced rogue arrows.

FNG
I am in the same boat as you, ordered the 5 pin housing for my spot hog to try on one Bow, S&S Archery black gold five pin to put on a new bow with the short dovetail. Also, look at the HHA Tetra Max, I really want that one due to the wheel being removable, but the S&S version checks a lot of boxes for me, and they have the rokslide discount.
Is there a code to use at S&S for the rokslide discount?

Both Spot Hogg and MBG make great sights. You will find Spot Hogg sights built super duper rugged—- maybe overbuilt for some users, and heavy. You will find MBG sights built a little lighter, but plenty tough, and maybe a little more up to date technically. I especially note that my two MBG sights have super-bright pins requiring no battery operated booster lights to see them in dim settings, which is a plus.

To be sure, both are top-of-the-market sights. You will be happy with either.