Spot Hogg vs Black Gold thoughts

Hey All, I’ve been a spot hogg guy for a while. Was using the double pin for a while. Really liked the vertical pin and sight picture. I also did quite a few changes to bow draw weights for a shoulder rehab and arrows weights. Loved that it took all of 5 minutes to set tape and shoot.

I recently picked up a triple stack, but don’t love it. With the change in length and weight its really front heavy. I added weight to my side bar to balance out, but now my bow just feels really heavy. A weight test confirmed: triple stack is 6oz more than the double pin, then I was running 3 ounces on my side bar. So 9 oz difference for the extra pin.

Now I also had a missed opportunity this year. Called in an elk, to 12ish yards and stepped in front of the tree i was concealed by. He stopped; think he heard me shift my feet as I drew; the wind swirled and he trotted off but he stopped at what I knew to be 60 broadside. With 20/30/40 I did not gap shoot. I thought about letting down and redrawing but he left. Now i’m thinking of going to a 5pin with slider again.

I’m seeing these black gold mountains lites that look great. Light weight and a 5 pin. Has anyone made this switch. Thoughts?

I switched from spot hogg sights to black gold about 4 years ago. Currently have 2 mountain lite 5 pins and a pure adrenalin 5 pin that I took the wing truss dovetail off and put the ML3 base on. Both make great sights. I just prefer just about everything about the BG over the SH, except the yardage dial of the SH being smoother and easier to operate. The SH is more overbuilt, but Ive never had an issue with the BGs moving or getting bumped.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
I am in the same boat as you, ordered the 5 pin housing for my spot hog to try on one Bow, S&S Archery black gold five pin to put on a new bow with the short dovetail. Also, look at the HHA Tetra Max, I really want that one due to the wheel being removable, but the S&S version checks a lot of boxes for me, and they have the rokslide discount.

OP
R
I’ve looked at HHA and passed.

For me it is the SH or BG. I’m considering a 5 pin fast eddy. But also looks like I can’t convert the one I have to a 5 pin housing? I have the SH double pin that has a bar style mount coming off the pin housing. Looks like you can make a 5 pin a single pin for the off season?

I like the Black Gold mountain lite because it is light. Not that weight is the biggest deal; but after realizing how heavy my triple stack is I am more conscious. I also like the idea of being able to see the tape while at draw. I have sent a couple arrows through my fence from not double checking the dial

I also like the idea of being able to see the tape while at draw. I have sent a couple arrows through my fence from not double checking the dial

Can confirm that Ive still sent arrows into the great unknown even with the BG yardage tape being visible at full draw.

If you are concerned about weight as it is with the double pin or triple stack, the SH 5 Pin MRT head is about as bulky as any other multi pin head on the market. Each pin has 3 screws, so 15 screws in the head itself, not to mention it is typically SH overbuilt. Its just a different bracket for the single/double vs 3/5 pin housing.

Last edited:

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I started with spot Hogg, went to black gold which I liked the pin brightness better, and now shoot the option archery. Option is the best blend of slider and fixed in my opinion. I have 2 black gold sights sitting unused now.

I tried the Mountain Lite and sent it back. It’s a nice sight but missing a lot of features. I also felt like it was not as well made as the SH. I know they are very well made but I just couldn’t trust it. I did like the pins. I went back to SH.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve looked at HHA and passed.

For me it is the SH or BG. I’m considering a 5 pin fast eddy. But also looks like I can’t convert the one I have to a 5 pin housing? I have the SH double pin that has a bar style mount coming off the pin housing. Looks like you can make a 5 pin a single pin for the off season?

I like the Black Gold mountain lite because it is light. Not that weight is the biggest deal; but after realizing how heavy my triple stack is I am more conscious. I also like the idea of being able to see the tape while at draw. I have sent a couple arrows through my fence from not double checking the dial
You can switch from the round bar to the new style with a bracket, I just received all what’s needed with a custom 5 pin housing from SH but to be honest it isn't worth the price just buy the 5 pin fast Eddie and sell the single or double if that’s what you have now.

OP
R
You can switch from the round bar to the new style with a bracket, I just received all what’s needed with a custom 5 pin housing from SH but to be honest it isn't worth the price just buy the 5 pin fast Eddie and sell the single or double if that’s what you have now.
Ohhh interesting. For some reason I was stuck that you can go from the bracket to the round bar. A la some of the nock on or s&s kits. I might just go that route; or buy a 5 pin version and keep both. I love the double pin for 3d but think the 5 pin makes more sense hunting.

I had a black gold get stuck. Wouldn't dial. Seen others with similar problems. Their internals are inferior imo. Have had much better luck with spot Hogg and HHa

MattB

WKR
Don't over-GIF it. You have something that didn't work. Figure out what would have and buy that.

I had a spot hog hunter fixed 5, then switched to the black gold ascent verdict s&s model in 2020. I wish it had micro adjust pins, but otherwise it's been really solid through 3 diy elk hunts, Whitetail seasons, and year round target practice. I love the photochromatic pin cover, my sh pins were way to bright in direct sunlight.

I compared a black gold pro to Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg and chose the Tommy for me. It is heavier but built tougher IMO. The Tommy balances well too. The Spot Hogg felt like a sight that would not move if dropped. That being said the black gold pro pins are pretty sharp and I did like them a lot. If the black gold felt more robust I would give it another try but even the dial to me didn’t feel extremely durable.

sndmn11

WKR
I ran my bow over with my truck in elk season during 2020. A lot of things broke.

Spot Hogg had me send in my sight to rebuild and replace all the parts for only the cost of shipping to them. They had it back to me in about 10 days. I thought that was cool.

If I strayed from the Fast Eddy, there's a CBE Trek sight that is interesting.

Luked

WKR
I have had MBD Verdict and am shooting a SH Fast Eddie XL with double pin.
I like the sight but not as crazy about the double pin. I think I am going to go to a 5 pin head this year.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
I ran my bow over with my truck in elk season during 2020. A lot of things broke.

Spot Hogg had me send in my sight to rebuild and replace all the parts for only the cost of shipping to them. They had it back to me in about 10 days. I thought that was cool.

If I strayed from the Fast Eddy, there's a CBE Trek sight that is interesting.
thats exactly why i went spot hogg. who else treats a customer like that?

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the pleasure of owning both and don’t really think you can go wrong with either. I personally gravitated towards MBG for pin brightness at dusk & dawn along with the Photochromatic shell for mid day high sun. I also enjoyed the weight saving and balancing the MBG provided over the SH for my set up. I tried, and spent a lot of coin tinkering with different sights (option, HHA, SH) but for a pure hunting sight that you set and forget I always ended up going back to MBG. Both have good resale value and CS.
My current set up is Mountain Lite 3 pin w/ 2” housing.

Switching out parts on a SH is easy. I have a single, triple, and 5 pin housing. I can shoot fixed or use the tommy hogg base. I prefer the 5 pin for elk and 3 pin for deer/turkey. My single pin housing and fixed base is currently collecting dust.