SpiteFire 100 Grain 1 3/4" for Elk

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
A few years ago I shot a deer at 20 yards quartering away tucked right behind the shoulder one blade caught the hide and completely took the arrow off course. Instead of coming in behind the right shoulder and exiting in front of the left shoulder the arrow went in just behind the heart and luckily caught a piece of the lung. When we walked up on him the arrow looked like I had shot it completely broadside.

After that I switched to the Trophy Taker Shuttle T-Lock cut on contact head and haven't had any issues on shots at 45 yards changing direction. I shoot a 32" Carbon Spyder 34LD at 80lbs. I agree most issues with mechanical broad heads come from poor shot placement but I don't think you could chalk it up to ALL issues with them.

Use whats working. I definitely wouldn't wouldn't change to fixed blade this close to a hunt. Only way to know is try it out! Good luck in Wyoming!

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
A few years ago I shot a deer at 20 yards quartering away tucked right behind the shoulder one blade caught the hide and completely took the arrow off course. Instead of coming in behind the right shoulder and exiting in front of the left shoulder the arrow went in just behind the heart and luckily caught a piece of the lung. When we walked up on him the arrow looked like I had shot it completely broadside.

After that I switched to the Trophy Taker Shuttle T-Lock cut on contact head and haven't had any issues on shots at 45 yards changing direction. I shoot a 32" Carbon Spyder 34LD at 80lbs. I agree most issues with mechanical broad heads come from poor shot placement but I don't think you could chalk it up to ALL issues with them.

Use whats working. I definitely wouldn't wouldn't change to fixed blade this close to a hunt. Only way to know is try it out! Good luck in Wyoming!
I ended up buying a pack of Montec's,....man was that disappointing...bow needs tuned in bad and time is wasting away.

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
Great info man! I have always had good success with Spitfires but your experience alone makes me seriously consider fixed again. I was a Thunderhead guy for years until jumping on the spitfire wagon.
Update: I ended up buying a pack of Montec's,....man was that disappointing...bow needs tuned in bad and time is wasting away.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up buying a pack of Montec's,....man was that disappointing...bow needs tuned in bad and time is wasting away.

I worked in an archery shop for a few years and its all too common that guys come in a week before season asking what broad heads to buy and I always directed them to expandable. If the arrow is not leaving the bow properly the broad heads will be all over the target. It's not as hard as you think to get them shooting straight but this close to your hunt will kill confidence. I have been there and bought the t-shirt.

If you have a good archery shop close by go in have them set everything back to factory specs, paper tune a fletched arrow to get an idea on how the arrow is leaving your bow then bare shaft tune. It will change your point of impact but a gang adjustment on pins should put you right back where you need to be.