Spinning Rig for Small Stream Trout?

11boo

WKR
If you have to do a lot of bushwhacking to reach said stream a 5 1/2’ rod is going to be like a flagpole. The long rods are nice but a pain in the thick stuff.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
My current setup is a St. Croix Triumph 6ft lite rod with a Shimano Sahara 2500 reel. It has 10lb braid with a 6lb flouro leader. I like either the Mepps 0 or 1's. Panther Martins are great also.

ODB

WKR
My current setup is a St. Croix Triumph 6ft lite rod with a Shimano Sahara 2500 reel. It has 10lb braid with a 6lb flouro leader. I like either the Mepps 0 or 1's. Panther Martins are great also.

I gotta learn more about the braid and flouro - I have used Trilene XL for my whole life - just not sure what i will gain with the more advanced lines...

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Any decent spinning rod a reel set up will work just fine, ur not fighting monsters. I have several of different styles. Most have 4or 6 pound test, rods, 5.5'-7'. I likeThomas Boyette, Mepps, and super Duper lures. I never use worm, they attract carp and suckers. I use Power bait, the color depends on the condition of the water.

I gotta learn more about the braid and flouro - I have used Trilene XL for my whole life - just not sure what i will gain with the more advanced lines...
You gain line capacity and better hookups due to less stretch, better feel for bites as well. It allows me to use a 1000 size spinning reel which is tiny rather than a 2500 which feels like a brick in my hands now. Braid with a 6' fluorocarbon leader is a great combo, get the invisibility of the flouro and better abrasion resistance and better knots. Tie that leader in with a double uni knot (aka uni-to-uni knot) and it flies through the rod guides without issue.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
The braid will spool beautifully, won't have any memory or stretch. It will also allow you to cast further with most spinning reel setups.
In some of my fishing in tea stained water (we have many tannic rivers and streams here) or dirty water conditions, I get away with 8lb yellow braid, but use a sharpie and blacken the last 6 feet or so of line with no leader.

Reactions: ODB

schmalzy

WKR
I'd go with something in the light or ultralight power with a fast action in a 5'-6" or 6'-0" length. Something like a St. Croix Premier. Shorter length because I assume you may have limited casting space from a bank, but you can certainly go longer if that's not the case. At 6'-6" and up I'd look at a light action though for cast-ability. The ultralights get a little "whippy" in longer lengths.

For reels, I like my Okuma's on a budget but would go Shimano if budget was no concern. Probably something in the 1000 size, 2500 if you want to throw a heavier main line with a lighter leader.

If you're potentially interested in a custom rod I build them as a hobby. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Completely agree. Can’t go wrong with this set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ODB

Wrench

WKR
I live in an area rich with streams like you mentioned. The panther Martin does great.....but be sure to keep a few casting bubbles and some muddler minnows, bead head nymphs and misc wet flies.....you'll be surprised what they catch and they do a great job of not getting snagged.

SloppyJ

WKR
I'd go with a 1000 or 2500 stradic and a light or ultralight rod. St. Croix makes some good rods but you can find all kinds of stuff based on budget and depending on if you want 1 or 2pc. I'd go 6' or under. If you want to spend less, the pfluger presidents are legit. Lower end shimanos have been horrible recently so I'll only own a stradic or above at this point.

Bait is going to be dependent on where you're at and what you're going for. You can obviously use powerbait or even cut up cocktail shrimp. For hard baits I've done real well with little cleo spoons.

I'll end this by saying I'm not the biggest trout guy. I prefer to fish for other things that I find more enjoyable and tastier so I don't have the most experience. However I'm sure the rod/reel setup will kick aas.

I fish a ton for trout in small mountain streams. Gold panther martins work wonders for me in most conditions. I've never felt the need to splurge on the rod or reel, and I think any decent setup will get the job done in spades for the scenario you're discussing. I have an Okuma travel rod/reel combo that I keep in the truck that works all right - it is at the bottom end of what I find acceptable. I normally use a small Pflueger President reel on a UL Berkley Lightning rod, and I am perfectly content with that setup. Spend more than that and you might not catch a ton more fish, but your setup will probably last longer and you might enjoy the experience even more.

Bugaboo

FNG
I use a Okuma Celilo UL 6.5 feet rod, budget friendly and works awesome without spending big money! 10lb braid to 4lb mono leader, panther martin or rooster tail!

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn’t look through all the responses and I’m sure someone may have already mentioned this but seriously consider a travel rod– that is a multi piece rod. They can come in very handy for backpacking or keeping in a truck/car and taking up a small amount of space

ThatDUDE

WKR
I love the kastking reals on Amazon. They have been a great value and I am slowly putting them on all my rods.

I also like the

Okuma Celilo​

Rods.

If I had a choice I would pick 7' 1/2 4 weight quality Bamboo. My Ciemega 7 1/2 4 weight does a great job. A lot of people love 2-3 weights, but a lot of small stream fishing is still pretty big flies like Stimulators and Attractor/nymph rigs, and any kind of wind at all makes that 2 weight over-work. The other myth is that shorter is better, that's true to a point, I leave my switch rods at home. But I know more than a few Smokies guides that prefer an 8' 4 weight. The extra length helps a lot for roll casting and keeping the flies up over the tag alders. And Bamboo has reserve power but still puts a fly down soft in close presentations.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm using a Daiwa Tatula MQ on my ultralight setup. 2 piece custom rod, 6'6". Not cheap, but smooth smooth smooth.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Anybody have good luck with Trout Magnets? I've caught a million panfish on them and would think they'd work based on the name.. I've never even made a cast in trout waters, but am going to give it a go next week on my scouting trip.

Also how are you guys cooking them on an ultralight backpacking stove? Thinking about picking up a little titanium frying pan and a heat diffuser but wondering what others do

Used to fish small trout streams, always preferred a shorter rod if spinners were used. Most the time could not do a regular cast in the tight brush.

Would fish upstream of course and “flip” or sling a small mepps usually up into a pool by holding the spinner and bending/flexing the rod then letting it go. Easy way to get under branches etc. would always catch the fish reeling it back down river, had to go faster than the current.

Fun times!