Spiders in house

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
I grew up in a house with a lot of spiders, including black widows and brown recluses. Widows usually stayed in garage and darker low traffic areas but recluses were everywhere. If I remember right, they like cardboard, so if you have a lot of boxes in an attack or closet clean them out and use Tupperware. Glue traps along base boards, especially in any areas or rooms you think they are coming from.
I’ve had mixed luck with sprays/exterminators, they always said because the spiders are lifted off the ground and abdomen doesn’t touch they are harder to spray for? This was a long time ago, could of just been bad exterminators.
I’ve been bitten twice by recluse, once as a kid a hole opened up about the size to put the head of a pencil in, the other recently just turned purple and splotchy and went away after about a week. I know people though that it’s been a huge deal, multiple surgeries, etc. Just keep a close eye on a bite, but usually don’t need to run to the hospital unless someone has an extreme reaction.
That's about like my daughter's bit. A small black spot. But the dark bruising got several inches across. It was HOT to the touch. They gave her antibiotics and a shot of prednisone.

ODB

WKR
I'm not a cat owner, but FYI permethrin is a neurotoxin for cats. If you are a cat owner make sure Mr. Whiskers is not around until the permethrin has dried. Supposedly at that point it is no longer a concern for cats. Further reading is likely warrented too.

Yup. Good call. Have Two cats. Never a problem in 20 years of spraying. My cats are usually on my kids bed or the back of the couch anyway - but good info indeed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Those are definitely brown recluse spiders. My daughter lives in Missouri, pretty sure it's the number one state in the country for brown recluse bites reporting. When she moved there I told her to put glue traps down along the walls in several places. She finds them on the traps every now and then. In fact just two days ago she sent a pic of a trap with a new one on it from the kitchen. She is definitely less concerned about these things than I am. I hate spiders. I'd rather have a house on a rattlesnake den than a house with spiders. And she got bit by a brown recluse on a toe a few years ago while living in OK. Thankfully it wasn't a bad bite, she said it felt like she had a strand of hair wrapped around her toe tightly cutting off the circulation.

MattB

WKR
They also sell bug foggers that may be more effective in terms of coverage than a spray. I’ve used them quite a bit in my game room and they seem to work pretty well. You just need to let them work for a few hours and then air the house out before you go back in.

Last edited:
We would see the occasional spider in the house and no big deal. The end of January my 8yr old daughter got bit by a spider. We are guessing that when she went in the closet and got out a stocking hat that there was one in it. It got her behind the ear. Since then we have seen one a couple times a week. From looking online they are brown recluse.

What do people do to get rid of them? House is a slab house with attic. Was looking at bombing the house of some sort. Never done this before. Guessing that after you do it, you would have to thoroughly clean the whole house, wash all clothes and take all food out of house?

Thanks
cool

Just pay to get rid of them. Any cost is a savings compared to a medical bill. Pay an exterminator annually for maintenance.
This! We pay $100 bucks a quarter inside and out treatment. We some have recluse spiders, back widows, ect...but the big Carolina wolf spiders make my wife scream. Worth $400 bucks a year not to be waken up to her screaming over a spider.

Agross

WKR
When we first moved to the house we are
in now, the spiders were terrible. Not in the main part of the house as much, but downstairs, which is mostly finished, the garage and the pole barn. I f’n hate spiders. We ended getting several of the spider bombs. Just have to stay away for a few hours then air it out. Made a world of difference. I couldn’t believe how many dead bugs and spiders were all over the pole barn when I went back in there.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Tempo is a good choice. I spray bifenthrin around baseboards and where wall meets ceiling and outside along foundation in spring and fall. Don't have issues with spiders or carpenter ants. Both are synthetic pyrethroids.

Beendare

WKR
Worth mentioning- Ive only had one spot that was a bit of a problem spider spot, my garage. It turns out, the hollow spot under my garage cabinets was a breeding zone that I could not get to.

Seal up those cracks and crevices where those spiders can breed and have their babies.

Rob5589

WKR
We used 4-5 different companies over a span of 12+ years and not a single one guaranteed against spiders. It helped but they would always return within a couple days or spraying. I save money and spray it myself now. Works as well or better.

Rokbar

WKR
I spray Tempo in my house a few times a year. I spray all the floor boards, up the wall in every corner, and around every door. I also do this in the garage.

It is safe when it dries.
Good product here. No/low odor as well. Great for indoor or outdoor use. If I use outside I put a little dawn dish soap for a sticker agent.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Daughters condition likely not caused by a spider bite.

Cellulitis is a bacterial skin infection that is manifested by redness, pain, and swelling of the skin. Can & will progress to an abscess regularly (pus in subcutaneous tissues). Happens because we are all coated by bacteria & microscopic break in the skin affords bacteria entry to infect.

I diagnose and treat this condition essentially at least once every shift that I work so it is super common. The overwhelming complaint that a patient presents with is “ spider bite”, however the number of witnessed bites is effectively 0%. As noted previously brown recluse bites are devastating injuries (as can be cellulitis ie necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria…)

Sorry to digress but having those weird compound eyes & 8 legs gets you unfairly profiled in the world of skin infections…

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We've always had a bunch of wolf spiders in the house, especially the basement. But a couple years ago I found a small desert lizard in the basement, then another one, and another one. I'd keep tossing them outside, but they keep coming back. In the last year, we haven't seen one spider in the house. I think I'm keeping the lizards, and told my daughter to take a couple back with her to Missouri this summer.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Wife just found this one in the kitchen sink. Pretty certain its a brown recluse
yup, almost 100% brown recluse, aka violin spider. the thorax has a dark line which seems to attach to the head and form what looks like a violin. Being the bit was end of Jan. and you got medical treatment, I take it she has recovered by now. As for the recommendation as how to treat the infestation as per some of the members here, some if not all may take care of the spider problem. As per the treatment of your daughter, listen to nobody except Dr. who treated her, and or family Dr.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
We've always had a bunch of wolf spiders in the house, especially the basement. But a couple years ago I found a small desert lizard in the basement, then another one, and another one. I'd keep tossing them outside, but they keep coming back. In the last year, we haven't seen one spider in the house. I think I'm keeping the lizards, and told my daughter to take a couple back with her to Missouri this summer.
My wife sees a brown recluse and just gets a paper towel. Grabs it, gives it a pinch and tosses it in the trash. Now, if a lizard shows up in the house. She will probably burn it down 🤣

Daughters condition likely not caused by a spider bite.

Cellulitis is a bacterial skin infection that is manifested by redness, pain, and swelling of the skin. Can & will progress to an abscess regularly (pus in subcutaneous tissues). Happens because we are all coated by bacteria & microscopic break in the skin affords bacteria entry to infect.

I diagnose and treat this condition essentially at least once every shift that I work so it is super common. The overwhelming complaint that a patient presents with is “ spider bite”, however the number of witnessed bites is effectively 0%. As noted previously brown recluse bites are devastating injuries (as can be cellulitis ie necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria…)

Sorry to digress but having those weird compound eyes & 8 legs gets you unfairly profiled in the world of skin infections…
Good old mrsa . Dont care much for spiders, but they get blamed for a number of bacterial infections