Spent casing stuck in chamber

CoMulies

FNG
Hey all, was hoping someone could help me out here. I was at the range this morning and after my 9th round, I got a sticky bolt lift and the spent casing is stuck in the chamber. This is factory Nosler ammo and the rifle has less than 50 rounds since its last cleaning. Running the action will not grab it, and I tried to push it out gently with a cleaning rod, but it wouldn’t budge, and the primer even started to push out the back of the case.

Was hoping someone could share some ideas on how to clear, or if this is something that needs to go to the smith, thanks.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Wack the cleaning rod with a rubber mallet. You can try the palm of your hand first. Use one of those cone crown protectors when you do it.

It has an explosion go off in it every time you pull the trigger. The primer is probably blown loose, which is why it is backing out.

As I was told in the military regarding guns, if she acts like a bitch, treat her like a bitch.

OP
C

CoMulies

FNG
Wack the cleaning rod with a rubber mallet. You can try the palm of your hand first. Use one of those cone crown protectors when you do it.

It has an explosion go off in it every time you pull the trigger. The primer is probably blown loose, which is why it is backing out.

As I was told in the military regarding guns, if she acts like a bitch, treat her like a bitch.
Well.. I was initially hesitant to force anything, but a good whack cleared it and another spent case cycled fine. This did the trick, thanks all

OP I’m glad you got your issue resolved. A tip for anyone who comes across this post in the future. I just had a case head separate in my 7rem mag leaving the case body behind. A large rat tail file inserted into the case body from the back with a light pressure and rotation and it came right out. Sigh of relief!

06 SB

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure the chamber is clean and dry. Also, if this continues you may have a primary extraction issue. I recently had new (old stock) Remington that need to be sent back for repairs.

TaperPin

WKR
Hey all, was hoping someone could help me out here. I was at the range this morning and after my 9th round, I got a sticky bolt lift and the spent casing is stuck in the chamber. This is factory Nosler ammo and the rifle has less than 50 rounds since its last cleaning. Running the action will not grab it, and I tried to push it out gently with a cleaning rod, but it wouldn’t budge, and the primer even started to push out the back of the case.

Was hoping someone could share some ideas on how to clear, or if this is something that needs to go to the smith, thanks.
The go to for stuck cases is often bouncing a steel cleaning rod off the case gradually increasing the pressure until it pops out. The side pressure between the rifling and rod is minimal, so there’s not much risk of damage.

There’s nothing wrong with pounding on the rod’s handle, but using the rod’s momentum is less likely to crack the handle.

The only problem with a wood dowel is the risk of it breaking and plugging up the barrel so a cleaning rod can’t be used.

KenLee

WKR
Make sure the chamber is clean and dry. Also, if this continues you may have a primary extraction issue. I recently had new (old stock) Remington that need to be sent back for repairs.
I'd hit the chamber with a wire brush and lightly with a chamber hone if you have or can borrow one.