Speed Studs, Speed Bumps...

cmeier117

WKR
Ok I just stumbled upon something new today and was wanting to find out some info from some of you veterans on the subject. What do you know about G5 speed studs or brass nock points out towards your cams to increase speeds? I read where some guys lost speed (which makes sense to me, more weight on string = less speed) But some guys got 5-10 fps? Seemed to depend on the bows and some guys maybe didn't adjust the location as well. It sounds like a good thing on paper. I mean who wouldn't want an extra 5 fps without sacrificing arrow weight or draw weight? I have a 29 inch draw length and pull 70 lbs so I don't NEED any more speed, but heck why not!!! You never know when a perfectly aimed shot misses its mark and you may need a little more penetration?

Someone educate me a little on the concept.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Speed buttons or brass nocksets or whatever you use will definitely increase your speed only it they are in the right location, you have to set them and shoot thru a chrony and document the speed and location, move them up or down 1/4" and do the same, keep doing this till you find the peak speed, a small adjustment each time is what you want, good luck.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This works... I've seen up to 6 or 7 fps, some bows only 2-3. Never seen 10 on anything and I have done a LOT of them. I think I wrote a tech tip for Eastmans' on the subject a while back. If I can find it I will post it.

There are no negative effects.

The reason you gain speed is that most of the time your arrow travels past brace height by several inches before the nock disengages from the string. After brace height, the string is actually slowing down and since your nock is attached it robs a few fps from you. Adding nock sets, speed balls, studs, etc alter the timing of string tension pulse. Get the weight right and your nock will disengage right at brace height giving you maximum speed. It's also a good thing to get the arrow off the string sooner because the string tends to travel laterally after brace height so you will often need to adjust center shot by moving your rest a little to re-tune the bow. Usually your groups will tighten up a bit.

Coop