Southern NM Trout

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some small creek trout fishing in Southern New Mexico and was wondering if anybody had any info they would share. Saw on NM’s interactive trout map a place north of Ruidoso called Copeland Creek. Anybody fished it?

Also interested in Rio Bonito. Saw a YouTube video on it and seemed like the guys had a lot of fun, but wondered if any ‘sliders have fished it.

Thanks,

John

Rich M

WKR
Check the state trespass laws - up north we used to go rock hopping and end up miles from the car. Many states have trespass laws that stop streamside fishing in areas.

If this wasn't posted on the state wildlife page it would be unit/spot burning.
Did NM's court case re: navigable waterway access get decided?

eamyrick

WKR
Looking for some small creek trout fishing in Southern New Mexico and was wondering if anybody had any info they would share. Saw on NM’s interactive trout map a place north of Ruidoso called Copeland Creek. Anybody fished it?

Also interested in Rio Bonito. Saw a YouTube video on it and seemed like the guys had a lot of fun, but wondered if any ‘sliders have fished it.

Thanks,

John
I just got back from the South Fork Rio Bonito. Plenty of Brookies from the Campground about 2.5 miles up and then they seemed to disappear. I wonder if the fire cleared them out and they can’t get passed some small waterfalls. I’ve fished Mulcock’s place on the Penasco 10 years ago when he allowed day fees but heard he wasn’t allowing it anymore.

OP
H

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
What about the Penasco upstream from Mulcock’s place? A lot of private property, but there is more NF land the farther west you go. Any fish up higher?

Bkp

FNG

Thanks,

John
I'm heading down to Ruidoso this weekend and was planning on doing some fishing. Did you have any luck finding places to fish? I'm not looking for lake fishing, like yourself I'd rather fish creeks and streams.

OP
H

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t made it over to the Ruidoso area to fish yet. Instead, we went up to Eagle Nest and fished the Cimarron, which was a lot of fun. Headed to Arizona to fish the Black River in a few days.

John

Bkp

FNG
I've fished the Cimmaron and Red river several times and always have a good time! I plan on going up there sometime this summer. I'll let you know next week what the fishing is like around Ruidoso.