South Dakota-Utah Turkey Transplant

Lukem

WKR
Here's a project that I got to work on this past winter. While turkeys aren't the most sought after game on Rokslide, it does involve two of our western states. Enjoy!

[video=vimeo;58112143]https://vimeo.com/58112143[/video]

amp713

WKR
as many as they had up there we should do this every winter..... Utah could use more turkeys IMO

RUTTIN

WKR
Thanks! Who knows maybe the turkey I shot this spring was from those turkeys, where I hunted they had transplanted turkeys there this winter.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
give it time, before you know it utah will have more turkeys than you want

They have been trans planting since the 60s and only a couple years ago did we get a general season id say we could still use a few more

sk1

WKR
They have been trans planting since the 60s and only a couple years ago did we get a general season id say we could still use a few more

Not saying we still couldn't use some more, just pointing out eventually they will be here in numbers larger than wanted

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
Sorry, hadn't followed my post in a long time, missed a bunch of replies.

Awesome man! Looks like an awesome project! Whats SoDak getting from Utah?

Officially nothing, but the hope is that when Utah has a few spare Mountain Goats, they think of SD.

That is really cool let me know if you do it again and need any help as I am stationed at Ellsworth right now.

I've moved to Nebraska, but PM me and I'll put you in touch with the guys trapping birds.

Thanks! Who knows maybe the turkey I shot this spring was from those turkeys, where I hunted they had transplanted turkeys there this winter.

That is awesome! Got a pic of your bird?

Not saying we still couldn't use some more, just pointing out eventually they will be here in numbers larger than wanted

I'm not going to disagree with you there. There's some circumstances where the numbers of birds can just explode, you saw it in the video. But, it was my understanding that the areas targeted with these releases are subject to some pretty substantial winterkill. It'll be interesting to see. Hopefully the project is successful enough to become a problem :)

Thanks all!

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
Nice! I'm guessing that's not one of the birds from this last year as they suffer some pretty substantial feather loss/damage and your bird looks pretty good. I'm not sure how quickly they replace everything, though. Nice looking bird.