South Carolina

fire652

WKR
I’m moving from Ohio to Myrtle beach and want to fly fish and hunt still. I miss Montana but that is not an option now so hoping somewhere nearer Tennessee would be good. Is there good deer, turkey, bear hunting in the area. Can you get away from crowd and kind of wilderness. Can you wilderness camp. How’s the flyfishing. Not looking for spots but rather an area that I can do all this and my own scouting. Need to build a cabin so somewhere away from everyone would be beneficial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
As far as numbers of deer go, I believe the SC lowlands are up there for highest deer densities in the South (maybe the country). I think good turkey hunting as well. I’d imagine Myrtle beach area is probably typical pine plantation/cypress swamp land, so really just day trips.

NC, TN, & Georgia all have no shortage of areas you can get off the trail for backpack hunts or trout fishing (on smaller streams) where you’d never see another person. Now the productivity of those areas is a different story. There’s a couple of members on this forum that hunt deer and bear that way.

NC, TN, and GA all have bear hunting, no clue on SC.

If you’re good with fly fishing for bass (more fun than trout in my opinion) your options become endless for fly fishing the warm water rivers and creeks.

EdP

WKR
There were plenty of deer in SC when I lived there 30 years ago. For fishing why not do salt water since you are on the coast.

OP
F

fire652

WKR
There were plenty of deer in SC when I lived there 30 years ago. For fishing why not do salt water since you are on the coast.

I didn’t want to drag this forum into my salt water obsession lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
You'll figure it out - there is plenty of hunting and fishing to be had in that area. Cabin in the mountains - NC would probably be the place for that. GA seems full.

The thing about the south "the area where NC, SC, GA, TN all come together" you can find just about anything you want to do within 4 hrs or close to it. i can leave out and go one way and be in some pretty good walleye fishing spots, another for strippers, another for big browns and lake trout, even should have harvestable salmon again by next year. go one way to go deer hunting another for bear. I can almost be at the coast of SC in 4hrs.

that said none of the outdoors hunting, fishing is going to be amazing or great compared to the rest of the US but you can do alot from that general area. so a cabin around there would open alot of options up for ya.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I live in SC and I hunt and fish around the state. There are places to do what you want to do.

You can bear, deer, turkey, and whatever hunt in Francis Marion NF that is about to 1hr south of MB. It’s swampy so bring snake boots/chaps.

To fly fish for trout in SC, you are going to have to drive across the state to Oconee County or try to catch the few trout release behind Lake Murray Dam in the Saluda River.

FLS

WKR
I live 45 minutes from Dirty Myrtle. There are plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities of all kinds. Lots of public land within a couple of hours drive. I’ve killed deer, hogs, ducks, doves, turkeys, and bear within an hour of downtown Myrtle Beach. The opportunities are there if your willing to put in the effort.

RunNGunSC

FNG
Turkey hunting runs deep in the low country! Whitetail populations are good but you will need to adjust your measure of a shooter. Duck hunting is good! I hunt those hard here and rely on out of state hunts for challenges and adventure.