South Carolina cold vs. Wyoming cold

Terrapin

WKR
I’ve never been colder than the 35 degree walk home at an ATA show in Atlanta or Indianapolis (can’t remember)… and I came from -20 in Duluth, MN. Go figure. Combination of cold and damp, slushy dress shoes and slacks. I didn’t know if I was going to make it. I hate the eastern winters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't spent a ton of time out west, but went skiing when it was -10 and blowing 20+ a couple years ago. Despite that, the coldest I remember feeling was on the beach in Daytona, FL when it was 38 and blowing hard one night. Second to that is sitting in a field in NC hunting swans. Both were at least 30 degrees warmer than the Colorado ski hill but felt a hell of a lot colder. Had good clothes on in every situation too.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the rest. We've gone skiing at -10 in Colorado and I'm not even cold walking from the car. Just a fleece and shell, and uninsulated pants.

30 degrees in the treestand in WVa, and I need about 6 layers.

Scrappy

WKR
Evaporated cooling is what your feeling. Put moisture in the air and it will feel cooler. That is the reason swamp coolers only work in dry climates.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
Evaporated cooling is what your feeling. Put moisture in the air and it will feel cooler. That is the reason swamp coolers only work in dry climates.

That's not how this works. Humid air doesn't let your sweat evaporate, so you stay warmer in warm weather.

In cold weather, the added humidity increases the coefficient of heat transfer, essentially sucking your warmth away faster. It's because the extra water molecules in the air are really good at bouncing into you and taking your energy away.

I've noticed the same thing - a damp cold seems to chill you to the bone.

But isn't that the opposite of your house and/or summer temps? In the winter time, if you add humidity to your house, it makes it feel warmer? And vice versa in the summer - as your air conditioner takes humidity out of the air, it feels cooler?

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
I've noticed the same thing - a damp cold seems to chill you to the bone.

But isn't that the opposite of your house and/or summer temps? In the winter time, if you add humidity to your house, it makes it feel warmer? And vice versa in the summer - as your air conditioner takes humidity out of the air, it feels cooler?

True for the summer. You only add humidity to your house in the winter because it's healthier for you and the house.

BluMtn

WKR
I lived in Kenosha Wi. for 3 winters during the late 70's and early 80's. I was racing snowmobiles and I have never been so cold as though 3 winters. Out west it can be -30 and you know it is cold by how it burns your nose. Back east you are cold to the bone, I learned about wool pea coats and they work helping keep you a little warmer. After that time of my life I found out I did not leave anything back there I need to go get.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
but need a jacket if it hits 60 in Florida.
I need a jacket if it hits 60 in Colorado.

So.......it's much colder in the south in the winter than the mountain states.......last Dec/Jan we had freeze warnings in Scottsdale.......I've been cold as heck in Hawaii in Jan and Feb.......is there any place in the U.S. that's actually warm all winter that I can be a snow bird in? Perhaps my wife is right, we just need to move to WY and embrace the suck all winter.

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
Reminds me of the Mark Twain quote about the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

That is true. My family visited there one summer and we all bought new jackets due to the unsuspected cold.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
By far the coldest I've ever been, at a soccer game in Cambridge, England on December 26. So humid and the sunset was at like 4:15. 34 F.

Come back to WY in March when it is wet, windy and miserable. A whole other level of cold! 60 moh winds for a week or more straight, wet sleet and snow. Gotta love it!
Now wind... that is another matter! That's why I hate wind! Makes everything you do more difficult! I would be hard pressed to decide whether I hated wind or humidity worse. Probably humidity, but it's a close call.

tdhanses

WKR
Now wind... that is another matter! That's why I hate wind! Makes everything you do more difficult! I would be hard pressed to decide whether I hated wind or humidity worse. Probably humidity, but it's a close call.
I’ll take wind over humidity any day!

Yea 45* and 10 mph wind here in Ky yesterday and I was at least twice as cold as 25* and 20 mph wind in Colorado last month. Really struck me as odd. I thought maybe part of it was because I was living in a tent out in the cold in Co and was used to it, verses walking in and out of heated buildings/trucks here. Humidity definitely plays a big factor.