Some Florida public land bucks

Rich M

WKR
You have a couple nice bucks on there. Most folks wouldnt understand tho.

My buck last yr was 5 pt, a 1-inch v on one side and 8 or 9 inch 3 pt antler on other side. I’m happy w him.

Fowl Play

WKR
You have a couple nice bucks on there. Most folks wouldnt understand tho.

My buck last yr was 5 pt, a 1-inch v on one side and 8 or 9 inch 3 pt antler on other side. I’m happy w him.
Yeah, it’s a shame how much of Fl has turned into pine plantations. In the areas where you still have old growth or farmland you can actually get some decent bucks walking around. But without food, no size to them.

OP
Andrewlonghi
NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
Yeah, it’s a shame how much of Fl has turned into pine plantations. In the areas where you still have old growth or farmland you can actually get some decent bucks walking around. But without food, no size to them.
All these bucks are in the Ocala national forest. Scrub oaks, sand pines, and palmettos

Rich M

WKR
All these bucks are in the Ocala national forest. Scrub oaks, sand pines, and palmettos
You've done well. They do get some larger ones but not very often. Wish you luck this season.

I do a form of land surveys for work and sometimes get on some large properties where deer are allowed to age and see some nice bucks. Was on one property in Citrus County - saw 6 or 7 very large bucks, including an 8 pt that was substantially wider than his hindquarters. There are some good deer, just few and far between in areas we can hunt.

OP
Andrewlonghi
NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
You've done well. They do get some larger ones but not very often. Wish you luck this season.

I do a form of land surveys for work and sometimes get on some large properties where deer are allowed to age and see some nice bucks. Was on one property in Citrus County - saw 6 or 7 very large bucks, including an 8 pt that was substantially wider than his hindquarters. There are some good deer, just few and far between in areas we can hunt.
Yes every few years a really nice quality buck gets taken out of the Scrub. I was born and raised in the forrest and know it very well. I've been fortunate enough to take a couple of the better the average bucks from there. The thing that's always had me wondering is why just across the river or right over the bridge grows some absolute monsters but it didn't take on my side

FLS

WKR
I grew up in N Fl. and hunted some public and some private. Still go down and hunt deer and turkeys about very year with some friends that have a lease near Jasper along the Suwannee River. If you can consistently kill deer on public in FL, you can kill them anywhere.

Rich M

WKR
I'm such a sucker for punishment. For some reason I have the urge to hunt Florida public.

Then come south and hunt. From what I heard, panhandle bucks act like normal WT deer. Central and south FL will challenge you a bit.

FLS

WKR
Bow season was brutal, especially before thermocells. I remember sitting way Up a long leaf pine in the Osceola NF getting eaten alive and the Ben’s 100 burning my lips and taking the finish off my bow.

Bow season was brutal, especially before thermocells. I remember sitting way Up a long leaf pine in the Osceola NF getting eaten alive and the Ben’s 100 burning my lips and taking the finish off my bow.

Yeah, the Ben's 100 is some nasty stuff. It ate through the bridge of a pair of my eyeglasses two springs ago, while hunting grizzlies. First time that ever happened. Had to Gorilla tape my eyeglasses back together. Looked like "Mortimer Snerd the Hunting Guide" (lol).

Long Cut

WKR
Sandy soil leaches nutrients. Plants can’t uptake much, animals eating the plants stay smaller and malnourished.

Probably some of the hardest hunting I’ve ever done.
Definitely a really fun experience though. I just hunted the FL/GA line, nothing too crazy like further South.