Solunar almanac

ozyclint

WKR
Anyone use a hunting and fishing almanac? Do you find it accurate? Is it something you consult when planning a trip?

My little Garmin eTrex10 GPS has one but I've never really paid attention to it.

I should sit down and go through my trailcam pics and compare dates and times to the almanac and see if there is any correlation.

I have used it before for whitetail hunting. I had varied success. There are many other things that can influence movement. I would say use it as a tool. If you have limited time and only a week for a hunt, just hunt. The sun moon and stars might not be aligned but you are out hunting and can anything can happen at any time.

I've never used it to plan a hunt. My dad who is in his 70's loves to hear all about out hunting experiences since he isn't out there in the mountains with us much anymore. He will often look up the solar tables for the day we got our elk or deer and look at the times that they state are best for activity and its pretty interesting how often the times correlate to when we saw or shot our animals.

pirogue

WKR
My Krieger Lunar Chronometer watch shows the moon data at all times. Actually, that’s the only time I wear it, is when hunting.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
I've actually been pretty surprised at the accuracy of the Moon Guide over the past five years or so. And we hunt big woods, not agriculture which it is tailored too, but still has a correlation.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
Ok....so if the 'Major' times are when the moon is above or below and 'Minor' times are moonrise and moonset and it's generally agreed that dawn and dusk (sunrise/sunset) are the better fishing times then why aren't the first and last quarter moons considered the best times of the month? After all this is when the major times of moon above and below coincide with sunrise and sunset.

All the solunar charts give the best days fishing around new and full moons even though this is when the sunrise and sunset coincides with the minor periods of moonrise and moonset.

All the charts give major periods as being middle of the day and night on the 'best days' of new and full moons.

Unfortunately, my hunt-2nd rifle OTC dates are already set (by the Colorado Game & Fish), so I only have 5 days to get it done. I have to hunt regardless of the weather conditions.

WyldGoose

FNG
I was on a mule deer hunt, glassing a couple hours one morning with no deer in sight. My buddy checks his solunar app and mumbles “maybe 15 minutes we’ll see something…”.
No shit, 15 min later 3 bucks pop up and start snacking. Kinda trippy.
I’ve also seen nothing happen during those magic times as well…

Weldor

WKR
I have used my Garmin for years, it's ok. Hit or miss sometimes, but what is'nt? The hunt fish times seem pretty close. Seen game movement when it showed the times.