solo shelter opinions

I know its been hashed out over and over, but what the hell. I have a vertex 6.5 ti goat that is awesome for 2+ people or with a stove etc. The problem is that it has a huge footprint for solo hunts and i would like something quick and easy.

I want floorless design
I want light weight
I want easy to put u
I would like something that packs tiny so i can throw it in "just in case"

I have looked at just a flat tarp, but with the wind we get here i am worried that it may dissappear if the wind switches.

Basically i have narrowed it down to a shangri la 3 or a paratarp with annex. They seem to be about the same weight but i have not had hands on experience with either. I like the idea of just using a stick to pitch as i dont use trecking poles.

Any others i should look at?
Any pros and cons of each?

Anywbere i can find a paratarp within the next couple weeks?

Thanks guys

Joe

muleman turned me onto one of these the other day. six moons makes some good looking stuff. this shelter would be perfect to "throw in" just in case. very reasonable, lightweight, and perfect minimal shelter if you are under 6'02". I am 6'04' and am still seriously concidering it for "emergency". 11 oz. oh yes, six moons designs gatewood cape.

stephen b

WKR
The GoLite SL 2 (Shangri-La2 ) is also another option. It's outer flysheet weighs slightly less than what the outer flysheet of the SL3 does ( SL 2 FS weighs 22 oz). But it is much bigger than a Paratarp. It is about the size of a Super tarp, or a mega tarp. It is set up about the same way as the para tarp and a super tarp ( but it has an enclosed front- which makes it like it all ready has an annex attached). It is a big size for one guy and gear.

It can be pitched with trek poles, or sticks, or hung between, or tied to trees.

Hear is a link to some images of the SL 2 from the web:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gol...kGqKYiQKNjoGgCw&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=605

And the SL 2 costs about $100 less than the SL 3.

I have one and have been debating on whether it ( the SL2) is going on my trip or one of my floorless tipi structures ( ID George tarp, or GL SL 5). If I do not want to pack the trekking poles in, I may just go with a small tent that I have which weighs less if I add in the trekking poles weight to my floorless set up. I then can just keep the trekking poles at the truck for second loads (Elk hunting - which means there will be multiple loads).

Decisions, Decisions.

Last edited:

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with a flat tarp, or a Super Tarp from Kifaru. I have an SL2. It's plenty big for one, but the rear pole is inset into the tent and it's kind of in the way. Plus you're stuck with a tent pitch. Even though the SL2 can be pitched high I'm not sure that'd be enough to dry things out. The tarp could be pitched any number of ways to reduce the possibility of it taking off. If you went with a Super Tarp and an annex that wouldn't be an issue at all. A flat tarp or Super Tarp you could really raise the pitch or an entire wall for ventilation. Especially handy after a day or two of rain.

Last edited:

bbrown

WKR
I use the Oware pyramid tarp - its 9'x9' and is a palace for one person and great for 2 people weighs 29oz with a stuff sack and stakes. They make a 8'x8' too but its almost the same price and only a couple ounces less. If I can figure out how to post some pictures I will.

I forgot to add that I use a small stuff sack that I keep this in - probably compresses to the size of a nalgene or a bit bigger.

Last edited:

bbrown

WKR
Here are a couple pictures - excuse the weird layout still trying to figure out how to post pictures without Photobucket

IMG_0433.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 69

muleman

WKR
Here are a couple pictures - excuse the weird layout still trying to figure out how to post pictures without Photobucket

Does the Oware Pyramid have guy out on the body? I couldn't tell from the pictures. How does it handle the wind?

Might take a look at the Supertarp or Megatarp. Both are easy to setup, both can be done with sticks instead of poles as well.
The Shangri La 3 has treated me pretty well. I don't really have any complaints except the useable floor space vs actual floor size. I'm 6'2", and need to be careful about my feet and or head touching the side walls when sleeping on an air mattress.

muleman

WKR
... The Shangri La 3 has treated me pretty well. I don't really have any complaints except the useable floor space vs actual floor size. I'm 6'2", and need to be careful about my feet and or head touching the side walls when sleeping on an air mattress.

Amen, 6' 2" also. I feel the same about the SL3.

On paper the Mountain Hardwear Hoopla 4 looked better for 6' +. So thats why I decided to test the Hoopla. Time will tell if the Hoopla beats the SL3.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Might take a look at the Supertarp or Megatarp. Both are easy to setup, both can be done with sticks instead of poles as well.
The Shangri La 3 has treated me pretty well. I don't really have any complaints except the useable floor space vs actual floor size. I'm 6'2", and need to be careful about my feet and or head touching the side walls when sleeping on an air mattress.

I couldn't do the Paratarp for this reason, not sure on the Super or Megatarp. Based on the dimensions I thought it would work, but at 6'5" its a little tough. This is why I went with the TiGoat 5 for solo use.

bbrown

WKR
Ya there are guyouts half way up on the 3 sides and work well to eliminate flapping and give more usable floor space.
Funny you should ask about wind, that picture is at the top of the divide and who would have have thought at shortly after dark we got slammed with some big wind for about a half hour. That was the first time I had used the treking poles as the center pole and there was a couple time I was not sure they were going to make it - but they did. I usually find a good spot tucked under some trees and hang it which makes for even more floor space but the poles worked well too. I have also built a tripod on the out side and hung the tent from that when there are no trees. No matter how you set it up the pyramid tarps do pretty good in the wind - probably not quite as good as the round style (Kifaru or TiGoat) because of the increased surface area but its a trade off as I have a bit more floor space with the square bottom.

I do have a soft spot for the pyramid style tents thought - I will post my other tent that is with me when I am car camping or horse back.

bbrown

WKR
This was on a canoe trip a few years back...
pencil.png

DSCI0451.jpg

Last edited:
muleman turned me onto one of these the other day. six moons makes some good looking stuff. this shelter would be perfect to "throw in" just in case. very reasonable, lightweight, and perfect minimal shelter if you are under 6'02". I am 6'04' and am still seriously concidering it for "emergency". 11 oz. oh yes, six moons designs gatewood cape.

That Wild Oasis model of theirs is catching my eye.... $175 hard to go wrong!

Mike

slim9300

WKR
I am loving my MegaTarp. I built the guy lines out of MSR's reflective material about two weeks ago and picked up 15 MRS stakes (6 standard Groundhogs and 9 minis). Everything packs down in a tight little package almost exactly the size of a small loaf of bread. The whole thing weighs in at 34.2 ounces but keep in mind this is the equivalent to a 6+ man tent when it comes to space and I am going overboard on the stakes and guy lines. My tarp by itself was 21 ounces if I remember right. You could actually get away with only using 7, but you would loose a little usable space. The MegaTarp pitched is about 13-14' long and 5.5' wide. Perfect for those that like space for you and your gear with lots of room to spare. I can tell you that mine is going to get some use very soon. :)

By the way. I have pitched this thing twice now. The first time it took me 15 minutes to watch the video while going through the steps. The second time it took me less than 5 minutes. I can't tell you how nice it is compared to my Hilleberg GT4 that takes easily twice as long to setup.

a6935991-c5a8-a75f.jpg

a6935991-c5bc-3370.jpg

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
Nice pics slim!! I am going to get one after this year. I am however loving my Supertarp and if you are looking at getting the para I would get the Supertarp just for the added length and width. But the Megatarp is a mansion for 1 and is nice that you have the added height if you need it. I would get a Kifaru though.

cmeier117

WKR
Slim,

I take it those tensioners are the red MSR ones? How are they holding up? Do they slip at all? I have some but haven't used them yet?