Solo Mule Deer hunting in WA

Long time Lurker, first post on Rokslide.

I'm solo hunting the general October rifle season in northern Washington. I've never been up there but have done lots of e-scouting. I take it that Mule deer numbers are low but is that because the "bench leg" deer often get classified as Blacktail in order to score higher? or is it really because deer numbers are just pretty low compared to say the Blues?

Any insights are appreciated!

Cheers!

MHWASH

WKR
I don't know where your planning to hunt, but if I was starting from scratch, I'd focus on the North Central part of the state. At least up there you'll see deer. I've spent lots of days hunting the Blues without even seeing a deer.

Bachto

WKR
Get away from the roads and by that I mean either by distance or by steep terrain. that area will be busy during modern rifle. Find creative ways to get into deer. still hunting in timber or bedding areas I think is overlooked.

What unit are you planning on hunting?

I assume N. Cascades considering the Benchleg question. Deer numbers N/S of the highway are indeed quite low. Some tanker bucks in there tho, if you can find and then outsmart one.

Welcome to the WA pumpkin patch. Still hunting the timber is about the only way I'll hunt modern rifle muley anymore. The time of year combined with the pressure just leads to glassing being ineffective.

Brownrice

Lil-Rokslider
Per the state and B&C from what I understand anything west of the Pacific Crest Trail is a Blacktail and anything east is a Mule deer. The argument for if the 135” deer on the west side of the PCT is a Blacktail or a Mule deer or “Benchleg” is endless. The answer is in those general areas deer numbers are lower than most other Blacktail or Mule deer areas across the state.

Are you trying to hunt these areas specifically? If not I would look at other areas that hold more deer.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Eastern WA, northern-central areas, were hit hard by past few winters. Major forest fires in the areas didn't help as these burned 75% of the winter range. There just wasn't enough feed for the wintering deer. WDFW doesn't feed deer any longer like they did back in the 1960-1970's bad winters.

Mostly in the once famous Methow Valley units, the wolves hit the mule deer herds even harder. Last 3 years, we listened to wolves howl every night. Last year in 3 different drainages we hunted in the 10 days of our hunt.

Fawn mortality is high. Latest WDFW reports are up to 80% fawns didn't make it thru spring-summer-winter, due to predators such as cougars and black bears, along with winter kill in the Methow units as well.
To give you an example;
  • In the 1970's we'd spot over 300 deer, choose our bucks and tag out.
  • In the 1990's spotting under 100 deer, still tagged bucks.
  • and last year spotted 30 deer total, hunting 3 drainages! We tagged no bucks.

Having hunted the Methow area for many years (50+), I'll probably be changing to mule deer units a little south & central.

Last edited:

duckhuntr

FNG
I archery hunted the sagebrush units just east of there 260/248/254 and even there the numbers were dismal from what I remember just a few years ago. Fires took out a lot of cover and food last fall. I think it took a toll on the deer. And made stalking even harder.

duckhuntr

FNG
Eastern WA, northern-central areas, were hit hard by past few winters. Major forest fires in the areas didn't help as these burned 75% of the winter range. There just wasn't enough feed for the wintering deer. WDFW doesn't feed deer any longer like they did back in the 1960-1970's bad winters.

Mostly in the once famous Methow Valley units, the wolves hit the mule deer herds even harder. Last 3 years, we listened to wolves howl every night. Last year in 3 different drainages we hunted in the 10 days of our hunt.

Fawn mortality is high. Latest WDFW reports are up to 80% fawns didn't make it thru spring-summer-winter, due to predators such as cougars and black bears, along with winter kill in the Methow units as well.
To give you an example;
  • In the 1970's we'd spot over 300 deer, choose our bucks and tag out.
  • In the 1990's spotting under 100 deer, still tagged bucks.
  • and last year spotted 30 deer total, hunting 3 drainages! We tagged no bucks.

Having hunted the Methow area for many years (50+), I'll probably be changing to mule deer units a little south & central.
Seems like you hear about similar decline everywhere in WA and some other neighboring states. Sad. Why can't they figure this stuff out.

MHWASH

WKR
Seems like you hear about similar decline everywhere in WA and some other neighboring states. Sad. Why can't they figure this stuff out.
They have figured it out. It mostly boils down to lack of winter range, which is primarily on private land. Then you throw in all the cougars and bears, and it's a receipt for massive herd decline.

mavinwa2

WKR
With the WA State game commission primarily filled with non-hunting appointees, that granola group is ok with mass predation, starvation of the mule deer herds. But totally against hunting as a way to manage the resource.

Hell, 8 of 12 members of the game commission are pro-wolf! This is a 66% majority in favor of the anti-hunting groups.
Already there is a measure being considered by the game commission to ban predator hunting all together. They already got rid of the spring bear hunting seasons. And if any measure is put to the voting public, sportsmen are the losers. This is how they eliminated the use of bait, hounds for bears & cougars. Sportsman/Outdoors groups outvoted nearly 5:1

The outlook is bleak with the current direction, leadership(?!) of the WA State Game Commission.

With the WA State game commission primarily filled with non-hunting appointees, that granola group is ok with mass predation, starvation of the mule deer herds. But totally against hunting as a way to manage the resource.

Hell, 8 of 12 members of the game commission are pro-wolf! This is a 66% majority in favor of the anti-hunting groups.
Already there is a measure being considered by the game commission to ban predator hunting all together. They already got rid of the spring bear hunting seasons. And if any measure is put to the voting public, sportsmen are the losers. This is how they eliminated the use of bait, hounds for bears & cougars. Sportsman/Outdoors groups outvoted nearly 5:1

The outlook is bleak with the current direction, leadership(?!) of the WA State Game Commission.
Aren't there 9 members of the Commission?

mavinwa2

WKR
Last edited:
Welcome to the WA pumpkin patch. Still hunting the timber is about the only way I'll hunt modern rifle muley anymore. The time of year combined with the pressure just leads to glassing being ineffective.

I just found this to be 100% true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
amelliott_tg
Well, I had a great hunt. Found a buck early on my way into the backcountry. Stalked in close and repositioned a couple times to get the right shooting lane. 110 yards shooting about 14degrees downhill. 2x3 mule Deer buck for my first big game animal. Pretty happy with 85lbs of meat in the freezer, euro mount and hide for the memories. Roosevelt elk is my next hunt in a couple weeks! PXL_20231017_203725787.jpg