solo elk tactics

gethuntin

WKR
It seems to be the consensus that having a caller and a shooter increases the success rate with the ability to have the caller taking the attention off the shooter and the shooter possibly being I range.then if it hangs up. For the solo hunter what are some tips and.tactics for going at it alone in setting up calling and.closing the.distance.

mt100gr.

WKR
Use calls to locate. Once you find them, I try to intercept their line of travel or attempt a stalk if the conditions are right. If they are responsive to your calls or aggressive, you may get em with a decoy. Set it up to draw them past you, like a caller would, but don't call if you don't have to once they are in view of the decoy. The call will draw attention to you. If you pull it off and the decoy pulls em in draw and be ready to shoot the first chance you get. Stop them with a cow call if they are moving but have the arrow on the way as soon as they stop....

...if only it was that easy. Good luck.

phish938

FNG
I do a ton of solo hunting, because my job allows me to take very long stretches off. I am a "run and gum type of guy that will cover 5-10 miles in a day. If I locate a bull that is close, but not too close(100-300yd) I will knock an arrow and let a bugle go and hustle up 40 yrds or so and cow call as I move up. I will usually sit tight for a good 20mins or so. Repeat if needed

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Really interested in hearing more about this also. I plan to use a Elk Mountain Slip System Decoy. I am not sure yet if my hunting partner will make it up but either way I plan to get out there and have fun and enjoy the adventure.

MT_Nate

FNG
I have had good luck getting shot opportunities hunting solo by getting a bull to start moving in, and I move quietly 20-30 yards to a flank position with a shot window and sitting quiet...no more calling. Smart Calling, a Decoy, and Aggressive Positioning.

I was pretty stoked after a solo hunt a couple of years ago that came out perfect with the method...posted the story below describing it. I have had multiple good opportunities in years since with the same method, but of course other factors came into play (thick timber/no shot, busted by a cow, etc.)...but I still continue to use it...definitely the best method I've found to use while hunting solo.

The Story

Browtine

WKR
I have had good luck getting shot opportunities hunting solo by getting a bull to start moving in, and I move quietly 20-30 yards to a flank position with a shot window and sitting quiet...no more calling. Smart Calling, a Decoy, and Aggressive Positioning.

I was pretty stoked after a solo hunt a couple of years ago that came out perfect with the method...posted the story below describing it. I have had multiple good opportunities in years since with the same method, but of course other factors came into play (thick timber/no shot, busted by a cow, etc.)...but I still continue to use it...definitely the best method I've found to use while hunting solo.

The Story

Great bull and story Nate!

OP
G

gethuntin

WKR
Good story Nate. I am not good at the lip bawls but def will be using the nervous grunt after reading about it a few times now.
How far back is a good distance to leave a decoy? 20-30-40 yards? I have the heads up and thought i had the Montona butt but cant find it now?
Phish thanks fo the comment i forgot about the tactic of callign and running up to close some distance.
Does anyone call behind them to make it sound like the calls are coming from farhter behind you? does it work? maybe a combo of this and running up 30-40 yards?

MT_Nate

FNG
The decoy was about 25-30 yards across the hill from my shooting location.

I think knowing where the bull was makes the setup more effective. I knew this bull was still a good 150 yards off after I set up, so I did my lip bawling and excited cow sounds from a spot right next to the decoy. When I finally heard him snapping beargrass stems and twigs on his way up, that's when I hustled my butt about 30 yards across and above where I figured he would go.

No more calling after that. He was naturally focused upon the decoy when it came into sight. This exact sequence has worked on three other occasions the past couple seasons, but I didn't seal the deal on any of those occasions due to 1) too much brush in the shooting lane; 2) a cow snuck me from behind and busted the setup just before the bull stepped in to the lane; and 3) a bad wind swirl turned the bull around about 10 yards from a shot.

...and oh yeah...regarding throwing calls "behind you". I do it all the time, but I can't really say whether it works. I never pull my bugle/lanyard from my shoulder, so it's usually pointed backwards anyhow. I turn around if I want to blast a particular direction.

Last edited:

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thread. I'm going solo this weekend for CO elk. Hopefully I'll be able to share what worked for me when I get back next week.

I will bring my heads up decoy and use if needed.

Good luck all.

Rudy

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Run and gunner here and most of harvests and hunts have been solo......standard sequence bugle, response, check wind and determine distance from bull, start moving in with another call of some type to entice response, close distance, get wind in my favor, rake, call whatever gets his attention and get inside his comfort zone and let the game begin...many variables from is he loaner or herd bull and is he raking grunt bugling etc and I will mimic his actions and cut him off mid bugle which pisses them off....keep the wind in your favor and this chess game can go on for hours

OP
G

gethuntin

WKR
keep the wind in your favor and this chess game can go on for hours

thanks you for pointing this out- on my few encounters i probably rushed it or gave up thinking he was preoccupied or cowed up to come in.

mt100gr.

WKR
Run and gunner here and most of harvests and hunts have been solo......standard sequence bugle, response, check wind and determine distance from bull, start moving in with another call of some type to entice response, close distance, get wind in my favor, rake, call whatever gets his attention and get inside his comfort zone and let the game begin...many variables from is he loaner or herd bull and is he raking grunt bugling etc and I will mimic his actions and cut him off mid bugle which pisses them off....keep the wind in your favor and this chess game can go on for hours

Definitely get aggressive when calling solo. Find what makes him the most aggressive and push it. Like Ross said, some bulls can't stand being "talked over" if you keep interrupting him some bulls just have to come in and use their brawn. Building on this, slip into his comfort zone quietly. Get as close as possible without calling.g to locate him and rip whatever call he has been responding to in his face. This can get em hot enough to throw caution to the wind.d and come stomping in like they are the baddest guy in town. If you blow him out, stay aggressive, run up and crash the loudest brush, trees, branches, etc you can find and get ready. I have had quite a few long gone bulls double back and run in on me for round two.

Cannot wait!!!!! Will the 6th ever get here? My tip is to master mouth reeds. Cannot imagine having to call without them in a solo encounter. How do people stop the elk when at full draw etc...?? Way too much going on when you are running & gunning solo in the brush to be messing with changing calls.