Soldier Choosing Next Duty Station

Mojave

WKR
Hunting in Italy….isn’t going to happen in Italy and I haven’t even bothered to see if I am legally able to take the hunting exam in Germany without residing in Germany. I suspect I can’t and I don’t really want to drive 8 hours to do it when I can fly fish to my heart’s content near home.

I tried to take the jbagdschein course from the Army from Italy and Spain when I was on active duty from the Navy. Some weird acient SOFA law that only certain people who are physically in Germany on orders can take it.

I got mine in 2017. I am using it heavily.

You can hunt in Italy but you will pay through the nose.

You can hunt in Slovenia, Austria and Slovenia without a German jbagdschein if you are interested send me a PM and I'll forward you my outfitters information. Figure $1000 to hunt and a $2000 chamois and a $3000-5000 stag.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to take the jbagdschein course from the Army from Italy and Spain when I was on active duty from the Navy. Some weird acient SOFA law that only certain people who are physically in Germany on orders can take it.

I got mine in 2017. I am using it heavily.

You can hunt in Italy but you will pay through the nose.

You can hunt in Slovenia, Austria and Slovenia without a German jbagdschein if you are interested send me a PM and I'll forward you my outfitters information. Figure $1000 to hunt and a $2000 chamois and a $3000-5000 stag.
I appreciate it but I’m not interested. I’d rather have the wife spend the money to travel so she leaves me alone when I tear off to go fishing. I can do without hunting for another 18 months. It sucks but it isn’t the end of the world, especially when I knew going into it I wasn’t going to hunt while I was over here.

WKR
There is more trout fishing in northern Italy than you could possibly hope to uncover in the 36 months you have on station……. I was catching 24” brown trout in an old Roman aqueduct less than 45 minutes from Vicenza on Saturday.
Ah, you’re making me ill. :) Where were you with this information when I was there ‘86-‘88?

I knew of no one stationed in Vicenza trout fishing then, and wouldn’t have known how to go about finding out if you could do it. Pre-internet, you know.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Ah, you’re making me ill. :) Where were you with this information when I was there ‘86-‘88?

I knew of no one stationed in Vicenza trout fishing then, and wouldn’t have known how to go about finding out if you could do it. Pre-internet, you know.
Yeah, I was alive but just barely. No idea what this place was like back then but the MWR on Ederle is more robust than any other I’ve seen in the past 15 years.

WKR
…….the MWR on Ederle is more robust than any other I’ve seen in the past 15 years.
I had to look up MWR to see what you were talking about. Apparently, that became a thing in 2011. I do remember post “rod and gun” clubs, but not in Vicenza. Also something called Family Support Groups, but as a single 20yo, I never explored what they offered.

I remember asking some local Italians about hunting and fishing back then and never getting any solid information.

There did seem to be quite a bit of outdoor recreation going on among some of the Italians. But it seemed to be stuff like hiking, climbing, boating on Lake Garda, or riding a Tour de France type bike on twisty mountain roads.

mi650

WKR
I was stationed at Ft. Lewis back in the mid 80s, loved it!

With the gun laws there now, you couldn't pay me to set foot in WA again.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
What happened to the good ole days when the wife went where she was told to go? Oh, how I long for the good ole days. :unsure::mad:

Eddie

P.S. Just so all you XX types know I'm kidding.

P.P.S. Good luck with your move.

Not nor ever was in the military. So I can only speak as a hunter and fisher. Alaska hands down...But maybe you list of animals isn't the same. mine Sheep being at the top of the list along with Brown/grizz...probably a once in a lifetime chance and more than likely you have an end date in sight where you'll only be there x amount of time anyways.
If you’ve been following the sheep situation you know it’s bad. Real bad. Moving your wife here to go sheep and grizzly bear hunting is a very poor life plan.
Even if you have a trust fund to finance all your hunts, you’re still going to need to pay someone to fly you out, possibly get on a waiting list, and wait at least one year after you arrived to become a resident.
Oh yeah, I forgot we have an animals up here behind every tree in the Arctic.

WKR
Before reading the posts in this thread, I would have figured Alaska. After reading the ideas of people more in the know about current goings on than me, Fort Carson seems like it might be the best option.

Still, it would be interesting to hear from anyone who knows firsthand about Hawaii. Shooting wild hogs and surf fishing for a couple of years seems like something that would be a lot of fun. Plus, most wives would probably like Hawaii.

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
I was stationed a McChord
The base is nice.
Tacoma and Lake wood are absolute shit holes and that was 20 years ago.

Are you also city/suburb people?

I didn't hunt when I was there so not much input in that.
Not sure what you have for personal weapons about i believe Wa has mag/Ar15 restrictions now.

We lived in lacey once we got bah and it was nice back then.
Just stay away from Lakewood.

Personally I'd choose Alaska.
Go up and do all the hunting and fishing you have when your in the best physical shape.

It’s still a fukin shit hole..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I had to look up MWR to see what you were talking about. Apparently, that became a thing in 2011. I do remember post “rod and gun” clubs, but not in Vicenza. Also something called Family Support Groups, but as a single 20yo, I never explored what they offered.

I remember asking some local Italians about hunting and fishing back then and never getting any solid information.

There did seem to be quite a bit of outdoor recreation going on among some of the Italians. But it seemed to be stuff like hiking, climbing, boating on Lake Garda, or riding a Tour de France type bike on twisty mountain roads.
Honestly, you could drive along any road near a river, park your car and go fishing. I don’t know who enforces the regulations but I’ve never seen anyone even attempt. I buy my license and permit but I really don’t feel like I have to.

Mojave

WKR
Before reading the posts in this thread, I would have figured Alaska. After reading the ideas of people more in the know about current goings on than me, Fort Carson seems like it might be the best option.

Still, it would be interesting to hear from anyone who knows firsthand about Hawaii. Shooting wild hogs and surf fishing for a couple of years seems like something that would be a lot of fun. Plus, most wives would probably like Hawaii.
Everything you want to do is on another Island that the military is not on.

So you have the cost of getting there and then the cost of hunting.

There is limited hunting on Oahu.