Solar vs generators??

Beendare

WKR
I hate a generator running when I’m in the woods.

IMO, besides that….its all about calculating the energy you use in your camper to see if solar can run everything you have.

My camp trailer is solar- no genny. I run the stove and shower from propane…then its just lights, phone chargers and refer on electric. 400w solar array and a 100ah lithium battery all on a 12v system. I never run out of electricity.

Now if you have bunch of stuff like TV, AC, electric oven and stove w/ microwave, you would need an awful lot of solar and battery to run all that.

There are internet sites that help you calc all of that.

I run solar on my camper in CO and love it. The last thing I want to hear in the woods is a generator running. The prices on Li batteries and PV panels are so cheap these days that I would look to just add an extra battery and wire up an extra panel if you feel you really need it.

Hunting in northern latitudes in November you have really short days, long nights and cold temperatures. You flat need a generator then. October too if you hit a some cloudy weather.

Right now with 16 hrs of sun and warmer temperatures you sure do not as the solar system is wonderful.

I have a Honda EUi1000 generator as well a the EUi2000. For our Northern Light cabover truck camper I only use the 1000 watt unit as required to top off the batteries. If we want the 700 watt microwave along, it takes the 2000 watt generator to start it. No AC on the camper but the 2000 watt unit typically will not start them.

I use 2 Costco deep cycle 6 volt batteries. They last better if totally disconnected when the camper is not being used. Parasitic draw on them from the camper even with the switch turned off shortens the overall battery life in my experience.

Good luck!