Solar Gate Openers

Iggy

FNG
Looking to install a gate on our driveway to help alleviate trespassers. Has anyone had experience with using Ghost Control Solar gate openers or is there a better option? We live on the front part of the property so we would like to try to have a motorized opener that we could use either from the truck or remotely if we need to let someone in. Thanks!

I have mighty mule solar unit. The opener and solar parts work well. My biggest gripes are the unreliable remote control and the gate opening at random times. Not a huge deal until I have to chase cows out of the yard. If you can afford it, go with Liftmaster.

BTLowry

FNG
Had the old Apollo and it worked good for many years. New Apollo (NICE) I am not a fan.

US Automatic is a former Apollo owner or employee I think that split off when Apollo sold out to NICE.

I have one of their boards in my old Apollo (because it is the same board) and their customer service is outstanding

The gate on my other place is a Ghost Controls which was recommended by a friend who had one for years with no trouble.
This is what I will be replacing my Apollo at the house with when the time comes, simply to consolidate openers.

DO NOT buy a mighty mule unless you like throwing money away
Everyone I know that has them has non stop problems or went ahead and replaced with another brand

As a rule the linear actuators stink. They are not strong enough to prevent the gate from being pushed open (or pulled open by the dog). Electronic locks take juice so solar/battery systems don't include latches. Ready to install solar kits also don't have a lot of power so they're slow and a 16-foot gate it about the limit before you should have a double gate and two openers.

If you can't run 110v to the gate, though... here's a Liftmaster Solar-Powered Kit that I installed after experience lead to rejecting Mighty Mule and Apollo/Nice systems.

FWIW I had snow/ice buildup on the small solar panel and got 3 days out of the battery before I noticed (battery also sits in the cold). After spending a few minutes on the ladder clearing away the ice, the system was charging and worked well again soon enough.

Weldor

WKR
Liftmaster, neighbor has some kind of solar homemade system, weird thing is when the power dropped because of a big storm (poles down for 3 days) both his gates were wide open and did not return until power was back up. Maybe he does not know what solar is? Cattle loved his landscaped yard.

Titan

WKR
I have 2 liftmaster solar units. No issues at all so far and they are pretty heavy gates. No issues with the solar panels opening multiple times a day. Those parts are cheap, you can always upsize the 12v battery and solar panel later.

OP
I

Iggy

FNG
I had a solar unit on a previous home. I wouldn’t do solar again for love or money.
I’m a little worried we won’t have enough sunlight where the gate will be. Less than 100’ from an electric transformer though….

Titan

WKR
If you put a 100ah lithium battery with a larger solar panel, you could probably go a week without any sunlight.

OP
I

Iggy

FNG
A lot of great feedback. Thanks for all of the input. We will probably look at Lift Master and compare Solar to a hardwired option. We are pretty close to a transformer but just need to weigh the cost of that new electric service. For starters we are probably just going to use (2) 8’ or 10’ round bar cattle gates across the driveway that swing out.

Brooks

WKR
My neighbor has had a 12 foot cattle gate running on solar for probably 20 years without any problems. They use a remote to open and close it. Most days around here are very sunny.