Solar Battery Box For Trail Cameras

12wander

FNG
Finally got all the parts to make some up and today was a good day for working in the shop so I put a couple together. Going to put them out Sunday and let them soak and see how they do.

This is the power cables I used. They have them for most cameras and they are chew proof to keep the critters at bay.

This the Solar Panel I used. My camera uses a 12V battery that I got at Walmart so you want to verify what voltage your camera runs on and get the appropriate voltage Solar Panel and battery.

The box is a ammo box from Harbor Freight

F0505849-F518-4090-B4EB-DDF2F874E2ED.jpeg

E9E01BBA-92FC-4C6E-A749-F962D19A6507.jpeg

Hard to tell, but do you know what that panel has for a charge controller? I made up a couple of those this summer with a similar panel, they were supposed to have a built in controller but they over charged the batteries significantly enough that I had to add one.
I'd set one up on the back porch and keep an eye on it for a few days.

OP
12wander

12wander

FNG
Hard to tell, but do you know what that panel has for a charge controller? I made up a couple of those this summer with a similar panel, they were supposed to have a built in controller but they over charged the batteries significantly enough that I had to add one.
I'd set one up on the back porch and keep an eye on it for a few days.

Im not exactly sure. But this panel is bull specifically for the type of battery I’m using. It’s made for continuous use on deer feeders. Once attached to my cameras I’m switching them to video and they are typically active. This is what I could find.

• Operating voltage: 12 Volt
  • Maximum power: 1.7 W
  • Operating current: 150mA (Solar trickle charge is ideal for remote areas.)
  • Panel Size: 5.5 *6.3 inch
  • Cable Length: 9.8FT
  • Package Includes:
  • 1* 12-Volt Solar Battery Charger
  • 1* User Manual

pirogue

WKR
Why wouldn’t you just get a camera that accepts direct hookup from solar panel, like a Tactacam, and eliminate the need for, space, bulk, and upkeep of a separate battery?

OP
12wander

12wander

FNG
Why wouldn’t you just get a camera that accepts direct hookup from solar panel, like a Tactacam, and eliminate the need for, space, bulk, and upkeep of a separate battery?
Late fall and winter we have extended periods of very cloudy weather and snow where it can cover the panel until it melts off with some sun. The battery can go months before needing charging if fully charged when placed out in the field.

pirogue

WKR
Late fall and winter we have extended periods of very cloudy weather and snow where it can cover the panel until it melts off with some sun. The battery can go months before needing charging if fully charged when placed out in the field.
well that makes sense, guess you have to make an effort to keep the snow from covering your camera

Darryle

WKR
These are great options, HME solar battery box. I have some that are going on 3yrs with a replacement battery from Academy. You can routinely find them for $50ish with the battery and I just replace the camera end plug to fit what ever brand of camera I am using. I have also used a voltage regulator from Amazon inside a small PVC capsule to drop the voltage for 6v and 8v cameras. Once you have the voltage regulated, simply put a drop of hot glue on the adjustment screw and seal up the PVC capsule with pipe glue. You can be in for as little as $50 and at the most $70ish

192F74C6-034A-4384-93C7-D561BF5586E9.jpeg
0DDE329C-0724-4C2B-B928-F7D6C39C4974.jpeg
0378318E-AEE9-4A7F-AF89-84B346A4515B.jpeg

OP
12wander

12wander

FNG
I looked at them but I like making my own stuff as much as possible. Gives me something to do in the winter when the weather keeps you stuck inside.