Soft Shells

CWayne121

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

I've been on a journey to change my layering system from a 4-layer (base, fleece, puffy, 3L) to more of a PCU layering system with a lightweight softshell at the heart of the system. Abrasion resistance and moisture management are premiums in how and where I hunt. I am looking for a unicorn softshell that fits the following:
  • Low CFMs / Highly wind resistant - something between 5-15 CFMs, or "pretty dang hard to blow through but not impossible"
  • Pit zips or adequate dumping system for the uphill
  • Preferably unlined to cover wider use cases throughout the year
  • No hood, prefer stand collar
  • Solid earth tone or black, not camo
  • Can pull double duty as an around-town, all-purpose travel jacket
  • Can handle a brief light shower while I find cover or dig out the hardshell
  • Has a hem synch

Does anyone have experience with the below?:
  • Beyond Clothing Velox - seems a bit heavy for an unlined softshell, I would also need to add a hem synch. Their pit zips are really bicep zips/pockets and I don't know if they are very functional. Any experience with this jacket?
  • Arcteryx Gamma LT - no pit zips, I'd rather not have a flashy brand while traveling internationally. Does anyone hunt with this soft shell? Do you wish you had an underarm vent or do you not miss it much?
  • Outdoor Research Ferrosi - They don't make the non-hooded version anymore. Would need to buy used. Also seems pretty thin. Does anyone have experience with the Ferrosi's durability through thicket?
  • Kuiu Guide All Season Jacket - It's lined but pretty lightweight. I've heard the Guide line of jackets allows wind to pretty much whip through them even though they claim to be wind resistant. Is that true or do they block wind effectively?
  • Kuiu Peloton 240 - I had one and sold it because I've transitioned to solids. I don't remember how well it blocked wind because I didn't use it all that much. It's also not a true soft shell, more like a miracle fleece for some. But if it cuts wind by 90%, it might fit the role. Thoughts on this working as an L5 soft shell over merino and fleece?
Thank you for any recommendations you might have.

Last edited:

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I would also recommend the Stone Glacier dehavilland. I go between the kuiu guide and dehavilland and the SG coat is more wind resistant.

OP
CWayne121

CWayne121

Lil-Rokslider
That SG De Havilland looks really really nice. Unfortunately, it has a hood and is lined.

Or ferrosi is very thin and stretchy. Almost like a wind shirt than a shell. I would say brush resistance is medium but mine has only been out 2-3x.

Drenalin

WKR
  • Kuiu Peloton 240 - I had one and sold it because I've transitioned to solids. I don't remember how well it blocked wind because I didn't use it all that much. It's also not a true soft shell, more like a miracle fleece for some. But if it cuts wind by 90%, it might fit the role. Thoughts on this working as an L5 soft shell over merino and fleece?
It doesn't cut the wind by 90%. It's a nice piece, but it's somewhere between a standard grid fleece and a true softshell, in my opinion.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
240 is a fleece not matter what the marketing calls it. Doesn’t work and isn’t cut for your use case.

Guide “all season” is cut too restrictive to use like you want (more outer layer) and the lining, as you mention, may be too much of you want shell only.

Probably the best piece for an unlined softshell you can layer up and down will be a gamma LT from arctyrex like you note. Black diamond has a similar build meant for skinning/skiing. The gamma LT is going to have a hood (really any piece like this should and will, unhooded is mostly going to be an around town style piece). I haven’t owned and OR softshell but am guessing their similar unlined build would work. Wouldn’t worry terribly about the pit zips.

I’d also concur with the SG DH softshell - but it’ll be trimmer to layer under, and is lined, but the pit zips really help.

OP
CWayne121

CWayne121

Lil-Rokslider
Wellston_Hunter, That Waypoint looks great. It covers all of the requirements except being unlined. I might just get one and cut out the fleece. Thank you for pointing me that direction.

Ive got the guide and rarely wear it but we do most of our hunting in the early season. My typical garments are whichever Merino baselayer fits the temps for the day and a guide vest. May throw the guide jacket on if its chilly but it usually ends up in my pack. No idea if it actually blocks wind...lol.

I run a SG De havilland. It is a nice jacket. Not 100% sold on a soft shell in a backpack setup. It doesn't really do anything really well. Doesn't stop the wind or rain 100%. Little bit heavy and bulky for what you get in return. My opinion only.

OP
CWayne121

CWayne121

Lil-Rokslider
I settled on the Gamma LT. At 16 oz it fits what I was looking for. It's got vents in the pockets, cuts wind by more than 95%, I don't get clammy in it, and it holds up to the thicket and friction. It's unlined so it's very versatile. This different way of layering is better for me but that doesn't mean it's for everyone.

Base > Active Insulation > Softshell or Windshirt (either/or depending on trip)
>>>
then Puffy, Hard Shell over top only when conditions require them like when static for long periods or when it's wet/extremely cold.

Last edited:

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Costco has a Kirkland mens fleeced lined softshell for 20-30 bucks.

Fit everything except the fleece lining. Hood is detachable and hard to see where it was attached. Instead of pit zips it has mesh in half of the jacket that vents through all the pockets, when theyre open.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04