Socks?

100rollie

FNG
I use the Alpaca socks when i go north, only because my wife bought me a couple pairs. They are hot. Darn Tough brand every other day of the year. Alot of different weights and styles to choose from, and lifetime warranty. Great hiking and work socks!

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Tried a few darn tough and liked them. Didn’t love them however.. I prefer “Farm to feet” Damascus socks for hunting/life. I currently use Feetures merino ultra for running/shorts wearing. I am a sock snob who tested many before settling on these. My 2c..

Hopefully this helps

Duckworth socks for the win. Light weight and medium weight. I’ve tried a lot of socks and Duckworth and Smartwool are the only ones I like.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
I run darn toughs. Have only exclusively ran them the past 1.2 years. I have the "tactical" mid calf and hunting over calf. Wear the t1021 for work and every day wear, then the over calf for my main hunting sock with the 1021 as a spare pair. Both haven't let me down, zero holes. Some minor pilling around the back of the ankle but no wear spots on the soles that I normally get with cotton socks

Do you find Costco merino's durable and warm enough?
Yes on both questions. I wear them in Alabama deer hunting with uninsulated muck boots. Temps can be 20-65F. I have some that are going on their 5th season. This type hunting is riding to your stand not hiking heavy packs into the back country. They are affordable so if they don't work out you’re not out much. If I am in a walk in hunt or hunting in the teens I will be wearing my Darn Toughs. I wear the Costco socks as everyday socks when I am on trips in cooler climates as well as hunting.

twall13

WKR
I've tried a lot of socks over the years. I wear Merino blend socks everyday as I developed athletes foot in my early 20's and Merino socks really seem to help with that. I go through a lot of running socks and have tried Darn Tough, Feetures, Gore Wear, Smartwool, Icebreaker, Point 6, Voormi, Injinji, First Lite, as well as others I can't remember at the moment.

I like Darn Tough alot, but not every model has worked well for me. My favorite from them have the twisted yarn but they are harder to come by. Their lifetime warranty is great and I've used it a bunch without issue over the years, they almost seem to enjoy seeing their socks worn out.

Probably my favorite socks right now are Point 6's essential merino socks. I also have some of their 37.5 socks but they aren't as comfortable to me. The essential socks are awesome and Point 6 also has a lifetime warranty, though I haven't used it yet to see how hassle free it is. These are my current go to hunting sock.

I also have some Smartwool and First Lite Triad socks that have been good for me. Injinji makes a good niche product as well, though they don't seem quite as durable to me and are a pain to put on, they work really well for their intended purposes once on my feet. If it's wet or I'm getting sore spots between toes these help a lot.

Gore also has some great socks. I love their Thermo socks, probably up there with the Point 6 Essential and Darn Tough Twisted Yarn for me as far as fit and comfort but they start stinking a lot quicker because they have less Merino.

There are some great options out there these days. I'd still like to try some Farm to Feet and some of the Camel Wool socks I've heard about but don't really need more socks right now.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Darn tough Spur early season, 2011 the rest of the season. Both are light cushion, the 2011 just has a bit more underfoot cushion.

Ive got a pile of smartwool phd that seem fine, but I just don’t like the feel of the inside of smartwool socks compared to darn tough. Darn wool are a bit smoother on the inside. Not sure if you can tell by the pic, similar weight smartwool (left) and darn tough turned inside out. I can see people preferring one or the other. To me the darn toughs are just more comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_5724.jpeg
    IMG_5724.jpeg
    505.7 KB · Views: 6

G7777777

FNG
Light cotton as a liner and then Duluth as a medium weight over those. In the Army we always learned to change socks when they get wet if you can. In the hunting world I have rarely if ever seen people bring spare socks

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I can't abide thick socks. I wear "no cushion" Smart Wools for hiking and skiing.

For walking around the mountain this time of the year, I've enjoyed these $16 Smartwool socks as hikers (they are admittedly "liners" but I wear them as primaries)

Grundy53

WKR
I used to love Darn Tough, but they make my feet clammy. After the last sock recommendations thread I tried Point 6 and Farm To Feet. My new favorite is Point 6. I like the other two, but Point 6 is more comfortable and keep my feet dry.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I use Costco merino blend trail socks. Have been wearing these for work and hiking for 20 years, usually get about 5 years before they end up with holes in the heels. I also have a couple pairs of Smartwool that I like equally as well.

TurkeyReaper69

Lil-Rokslider
I have many pairs of the Cabela's lightweight wool socks that have done me well over the years, but am slowly transitioning to Darn Tough. I got some pairs for Christmas last year and love em.