Socks?

For me, no matter the temps, I prefer as thin as possible. I find they prevent blistering and foot issues better than thicker socks. Temp management is largely contingent on proper boot fit as well as good overall layering, in addition to good circulation and health. Read up on all that if you have issues with cold feet.

I’ve had great luck with Darn Tough, and while they are super incredibly tough I’ve managed to snag a hole in a pair, and they replaced them quickly and easily.

I love darn tough merino socks. I have a multiple different models from ankle high and thin to knee high and very thick. Never had a blister with them and they can be worn forever without getting smelly.

My favorites are First Lite OTC calf for early and Kenetrek OTC for late. I haven't tried Kenetrek early season socks but, their late season socks are sweet.

Last edited:
I’ve always worn smartwool and have no complaints. Recently got some SG socks and they are my new favorite.

Same here, and I wear merino socks 365 days a year. SG performance synthetic is really comfortable and very even temp wise. I was pleasantly surprised

TheHammer

WKR
Best all around sock I’ve found that fits me is the darn tough 06 steel toe boot sock. I have 41 pairs. Every time I send some in for warranty I feel bad so I I buy the equivalent to what I’m warranting.. now I have a few.

*In the mountains I wear the heavyweight hunter socks to sleep in… too heavy to wear while hiking imo.

Last edited:

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Darn tough. Never thought I would like socks this much. Amazing on multiple days hunts. No issues what so ever.

shwacker

Lil-Rokslider
If it makes any sense, I like to try to find an un cushioned but thicker wool synthetic blend sock. My favorite are a really old pair of fox river socks (not made anymore) that have been used extremely heavily and still going. The smartwool "running" socks are often offered without cushion.

I like thin socks pretty much year around. Recently I've been trying willowace, they're an alpaca, poly, nylon blend and they come in at a pretty good price point for performance socks. I've got a discount code if anybody is interested.

Ive tried smartwool, wigwam and darn tough and darn tough are by far my favorite. You arent limited to the hunting socks, the hiking socks work just as well you just need to decide on the weight and level of cushion that you like best/what fits your needs. They are a bit pricey (25-30$/pair) but they have a lifetime warranty. I wear them as everyday socks now not just for hunting.