So what about Sierra?

TwoTikkas

WKR
I was talking to an old buddy of mine the other day. We were going over our own evolution as handloaders (and a long one at that,lol)and both have to wonder. What's keeping Sierra alive? We both started out back in the mid 70s,and Sierra was the holy grail of bullets then. If you were anybody there were green boxes on your bench. Now I have to admit that I don't use many Sierra bullets these days myself. I guess I've succumbed to the plastic tip syndrome. They do look cool don't they? Especially the moly coated ones in nickel cases. Oh man! Gotta love it. So, how in this age of monolithics and plastic tips and coatings and whatever else they can convince us of trying,does Sierra survive? Think I'm going to go buy a couple boxes today for old time sake. They worked great 30+ years ago. How about now?

sodak

FNG
Sierra has a big fan club. It still is a 'top dog' for many competitive shooters (ex Palma). They still work very well for what they are built for.

B

bearguide

i still like sierra 160 boat tail in 7mm, it has always given me good groups, and great game performance

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Funny you mention them. While I'm not a reloader from the '70s, more like the late 80's, of all the bullets I've handloaded, I've never tried them! I've looked through their manuals and it looks like they build some sweet 7mm bullets as bearguide mentions with high bcs, but for one reason or another, I've never tried them.

In my parts and time frame, Speer was top dog and don't hear much about them now either. However, I still shoot Speer boat tail in 160 grain in my 7mm. Why? Because after 2 months of trying all the new bullets, and there are some great ones, none could group with the Speers. My local dealer shakes his head that I come in and buy 15 cent bullets as he knows I'm an accuracy nut, but it's what the Weatherby likes. I wanted to shoot the controlled expansion bullets, but couldn't get them to group and I'm talking Hornaday, Nosler, Swift, Barnes. Just the gun I know, but ironic in this day and age I'm shooting a bullet that was designed using 30+ year old technology.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Funny about the Speer bullets. I had a 270 Weatherby that loved the 150gr Speer Spitzer. Shot super little bug hole groups. Back in my benchrest days,we were doing things with bullets that my shooting buddy made in his own dies and bullet press,that were just plain awesome. Controlled expansion bullets that cost close to a dollar a piece don't necessarily guarantee success in the accuracy dept. AND, Speer had the best data labels ever! Looked cool on a new slip top cartridge box too.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have some SGKs for both my 325WSM and 338WM on my reloading bench so they aren't totally out of the game. :D

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That right TT, I have and still use some of those labels!
You're right about the controlled expansion, they're not guaranteed accurate because they cost a dollar.

I've burned a bunch of SGK's this year. The the BC on the 180 gr .308 bullet is right there with the plastic tip numbers, and in my 30-06 they are very consistent 3/4" shooters. I've played with several of the more expensive bullets, but the Sierra's are simply more accurate for me at the 300 yd line. I also shoot quite a bit, and they cheaper price really helps my limited gun budget. They will be headed to the mountains with me this year for sure.

Yk

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
I'll tell you what. Price is definately a consideration. And the quality is still there. I personaly don't need a 90 cent bullet to slay a 200lb whitetail buck @ 300yds or less. In my 37 years of whacking them,it has only gone to 300 a couple of times. Heck the last one was shot under the chin with a 7 Rem Mag with a 150gr ballistic tip. I had a good rest over a fallen log along the end of a field. The range was known. A hold across her eyeballs as she looked down the pipe landed one on the spot. The white spot that is. Now why do I need anything more than a good old Sierra or Speer? I did in fact pick up a box of 140gr Gamekings today for the 284 Winchester. I'm looking forward to wringing them out.

Mckinnon

WKR
I shot a nice blacktail with the SGK's out of my .250 Savage. The top of the heart of was completely gone, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I shot a nice blacktail with the SGK's out of my .250 Savage. The top of the heart of was completely gone, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Awesome.

A classic bullet and a classic cartridge. A match made in heaven and just as deadly now as then.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
A co-worker buddy of mine uses the 250 here for deer. He swears by the 87gr bullets in his. The 250 Savage may be in contension for the title of best western PA stand hunting round for whitetails. I'd likely opt for a little heavier pill than my buddy though.

rumrzr

FNG
I shot 140 grain game king hollow point out of my 270 with great results on game from antelope to elk. Could not have asked for better performance with penetration and expansion. One of the best bullets I have shot!

Mckinnon

WKR
Bitrerroot, your right on both accounts. I like the heavier bullet and don't worry about the "3000" mark. That 250 savage was my great grandfathers and I was stoked to keep the tradition alive with it.
TwoTikkas, I have also shot a 115 gr SGK out of the 250, just didnt group as well out of my rifle, but might be good for ya if you like something a bit heavier, might serve you better in thicker deer woods as well...

I shot one mule deer with a SGK and never tried them again. The bullet lost its core on a 100 yard broadside shot. Their jackets (at least in the 150gr .270 cal) don't get thicker near the base. They are probably an ok bullet for deer, but I worry about shooting an elk with one. I prefer Nosler Accubonds now if the muzzle velocity is around 3000fps or more. They seem to hold together well.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
As other have said the game king is still a good bullet and especially in the bench shooting the match king still has a great following heard guys say they would quit shooting if they stopped making them. I keep some around to test, funny I have gone to noslers mostly ,but we still try different bullets with every new gun purchased. Actually I load some 140gr. up for my wifes 7mm-08:)