so.........I made a big mistake.

sk1

WKR
This is embarrassing because I know better.....A friend of mine from work really wants to get into hunting and was looking at my bow. He really thought it was cool and wanted to see what it looks like when you draw it back....so I put on my release and proceeded to tell him that you should technically never draw a bow back without being aimed towards a target and have an arrow knocked just in case something goes wrong. Well I proceeded to ignore my own advice. I started to draw back and just as I started to pull into some decent draw weight my release broke....yeah it broke. What are the freaking odds of that? Being a hook style release it shot that across the room while the buckle still attached to my wrist, and the strings came flying off the bow. He was in shock and scared because he didn't know what happened.....I knew exactly what happened and was depressed.

I'm guessing I was hitting 25 to 40lbs when it went.....thankfully no one was hurt. I'm no expert but the bow seems to be ok, not sure about the strings....hopefully no issues with the cams. I guess at least I wasn't drawn back at the 74lbs it's set at or things may have gotten ugly.

The release was a Tru Fire Hardcore I bought brand new and only used it for one season....I was overall pretty happy with it until now. They have a lifetime warranty, and hopefully understand I want my money back rather than a new release even though it would most likely not happen again. I just lost my confidence in that company even though things like that happen.

If there are any issues with the bow, do you guys think Tru Fire could be liable in any way? I'm somehow willing to bet no....I wonder if their packaging says anything about always having an arrow knocked.

Anyways that's my screw up for 2012 so far.....I guess the reason I am posting this is if any of you guys are drawing back without aiming at something you can shoot with an arrow knocked, you need to stop.....you truly do never know what might happen. I thought nothing would ever happen even though i knew better.

muleman

WKR
Glad no one was hurt. Make sure and check the limbs really well to make sure they weren't damaged.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow! Glad no one was hurt, as far as holding release manufacturer liable, is it supposed to be used to draw back a bow without an arrow? I think that would be a long uphill battle for you and it's not really their fault IMO. Sorry this happened to you.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Yeah, that is essentially how I looked at it also....kind of a long shot trying to fight that based on the release shouldn't have failed.

I just hope I can get a cash refund rather than a replacement....which is also what I will most likely receive, a replacement.

my own fault, what a dummy.

I can't see anything wrong with the limbs whatsoever, but going to have the guys at the range who have probably seen this stuff before give it a look or two.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
hoyt rampage xt, well not the cables, just the string on one end.....like i said I estimate at 25 to 40lbs or so.....I guess maybe more ah heck I dont know...happened so fast but I was definitely not close to full draw. also shot the peep sight across the room.

dotman

WKR
You are the third person in the last month that has had a true fire do this that I know of!

You can run a cotton ball lightly over the limbs. The cotton will catch on any cracks or splinters. Other than that put a new string back on it and draw it. Hoyt is going to fully cover the limbs. They are super good about that stuff. As far as the Tru Fire we at are archery shop have seen a handfull breakdown. Common.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
You can run a cotton ball lightly over the limbs. The cotton will catch on any cracks or splinters. Other than that put a new string back on it and draw it. Hoyt is going to fully cover the limbs. They are super good about that stuff. As far as the Tru Fire we at are archery shop have seen a handfull breakdown. Common.

good idea on the cotton ball, everything does appear to be ok.

I took it to the archery range this morning, they said they have never seen that with the tru fire hardcore release (so far)....they are really busy today but at first glance say things appear to be ok and they will take care of it. They also said tru fire has been really good about dealing with customers and if there are damages to the bow, would be willing to see if they can get tru fire to cover any cost.

I call tru fire monday morning, will be interesting to hear what they have to say.....I'm going to be switching to a spott hogg wise guy release, i've had my eye on them for awhile now anyways.

Maxhunter

WKR
If you have a set screw on your release for trigger weight adjustment it may of vibrated loose, causing it to prematurely fire. If that's the case set it and put a drop of super glue on it and you'll never have that problem again.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was gonna say the cotton ball thing....someone beat me to it! Check everything out really good, string yokes, limbs, cams, serving, etc...

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
If you have a set screw on your release for trigger weight adjustment it may of vibrated loose, causing it to prematurely fire. If that's the case set it and put a drop of super glue on it and you'll never have that problem again.

yeah no it wasn't the set screw, it literally broke at the ring that attaches to the buckle wrist strap.....it didn't prematurely fire....as it was still hooked on the d-loop and shot across the room, hopefully absorbing some of that kinetic energy?!?! ha. good thing i made my buddy stand way to the side of me.

Last edited: