SO Cimmaron Mod Idea

Has anyone tried building a frame for their Seek Outside Cimmaron? I’m thinking 4 vertical poles, one in each corner, kind of like a traditional tent. It makes no sense for backpacking, but for base or truck camping, it would provide more usable space in the middle of the shelter for hanging around in the tent.

If no one has tried it, I may have to prototype something with PVC and report back.

OP
H
I think two poles are all you need. I did two with my mld duomid without any trouble.
That’s a very good point. Was it worth it? I don’t mind the center pole at all, except when I’m trying to use my helinox chair in the tent.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on how long you need the poles, trekking poles work for my lite outdoors tipi tent and come along on backpacking trips anyways.

Edit: I guess I'm not exactly sure what your picturing but the trekking poles in the corners does open the space a fair bit.

OP
H
Don’t use PVC if you plan on using a stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point. I’ve set PVC on fire before. Bad day. I was thinking that if you’re using the stove, there’s no reason not to use the center pole, since they’re so close together.

They have a hang loop at the peak for utilizing external support instead of internal.
True. I haven’t tried that yet, but I guess it would have the same effect, and I’m usually in pretty wooded areas.

mmw194287

WKR
I've wondered about doing this with conduit for the Courthouse. It's certainly an intriguing idea if weight is not a consideration.

OP
H
I saw the Courthouse set up at Expo '23 for the first time this year. Made me not like my Teepee lol! A straight wall just gives more usable room/footprint.
If I were a buying a tent for car, horse, or plane packing, that would be it! But I’m a backpacker, so it’s not really an option for me. But that doesn’t stop me from wanting one