SO Cimarron hot tent

I would skip the liner, i’ve used down bags and not had any trouble with condensation. Use the line lock system to get it off the ground a little bit and that should help considerably with any condensation issues you have.
I got a half nest system to use this year to try it out. It’s mainly for creepy crawlers but might help with condensation as well if you’re really worried about it.

Yes sir. Multiple times with deer, one occasion with elk. It might just be the most fun thing I can do in the woods!

10 miles is a poke, most hunts have been in that 7-8 mile range but ALL have been in late September/early October. Temps from 30-75, never had a need for a stove or floor-less shelter, but am curious for using it as a late Oct-Nov system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Late October/November the stove is gonna be worth the weight in my opinion.

Wyco307

FNG
Lots of roads around the wilderness pieces but plan on going into non road areas 6-10 miles

That sounds like a fun hunt. I don't think you would be disappointed by the cimmaron by any means. A suggestion would be to keep a packable cot in the truck if you end up spending a few nights truck camping. I have one I picked up from Walmart I believe it's called a kijaro or something like that. When it's cold and you're truck camping it is a game changer to be off the ground with the stove ripping.

OP
jdoyle243

jdoyle243

FNG
That sounds like a fun hunt. I don't think you would be disappointed by the cimmaron by any means. A suggestion would be to keep a packable cot in the truck if you end up spending a few nights truck camping. I have one I picked up from Walmart I believe it's called a kijaro or something like that. When it's cold and you're truck camping it is a game changer to be off the ground with the stove ripping.

That’s another draw of the stove. 10 days hunting but multiple will be from the pickup, just keeping the option of backpacking on the table.

Hunt is setup to where I will load the pack down for 1-2 days, plan on day hunting but have the option to stay out there… see if it works out

Late season hunts are definitely nicer with the stove. When it's below zero 12 hours a day and below 20 the whole hunt a heat source makes a huge difference.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
If it stays dry you can get away without the stove, but once it gets wet and cold having the stove is really nice.

Gotcha_

FNG
I would skip the liner, i’ve used down bags and not had any trouble with condensation. Use the line lock system to get it off the ground a little bit and that should help considerably with any condensation issues you have.
I got a half nest system to use this year to try it out. It’s mainly for creepy crawlers but might help with condensation as well if you’re really worried about it.
Line Lock system is just a bunch of guy lines to hold the edge out for more airflow? Honestly it is very difficult to get a read on condensation 50% of the people you ask love it, 50% said they get soaked, not sure what side I'll be on but probably humidity and temp dependent.Not too many creepy crawlers in CO.

FYSA talked to SO this week and they're releasing an attachable floor to the Cimmaron this year.

Line Lock system is just a bunch of guy lines to hold the edge out for more airflow? Honestly it is very difficult to get a read on condensation 50% of the people you ask love it, 50% said they get soaked, not sure what side I'll be on but probably humidity and temp dependent.Not too many creepy crawlers in CO.

FYSA talked to SO this week and they're releasing an attachable floor to the Cimmaron this year.
Basically, yes. The line lock system allows you to raise or lower the tent. How I have used it in the past, if I have a cold N/W wind blowing in, I will drop the N/W side to the ground and then raise the south and east side for ventilation. If you get SO tent get the extra line locks. You just gain a tremendous amount of adjustability.
Have used it a handful of trips with a Kelty cosmic 20, so not an expensive down bag, and I never had any problems wetting out a bag due to condensation.
Colorado is the main reason I wanted the nest. A couple years ago I just must’ve set the tent right on a cluster of daddy long legs cause them damn things were all over me. Other times I haven’t had any issues.

If I had to do it over again, I think I’d get the argali. The silnylon on my Cimmaron sags so much at the slightest hint of moisture, while my silpoly tarp stays taught as a drum.

Gotcha_

FNG
Basically, yes. The line lock system allows you to raise or lower the tent. How I have used it in the past, if I have a cold N/W wind blowing in, I will drop the N/W side to the ground and then raise the south and east side for ventilation. If you get SO tent get the extra line locks. You just gain a tremendous amount of adjustability.
Have used it a handful of trips with a Kelty cosmic 20, so not an expensive down bag, and I never had any problems wetting out a bag due to condensation.
Colorado is the main reason I wanted the nest. A couple years ago I just must’ve set the tent right on a cluster of daddy long legs cause them damn things were all over me. Other times I haven’t had any issues.
Yikes thought they'd be outta there by hunting season. Now adding another thing to think about.

It seems after some thought, a backpacking hot tent is only good for wet weather & when you're spike camping at a deep basecamp? otherwise a lighter 3 season tent could be used? A stove is nice to warm and dry but it wont run all night unless you're waking up every 2 hours, so gotta pack sleeping bag for min temps. If the tent gets cold in the type of weather you'd want to bring it in, condensation will occur and you'd need to start another fire to dry it out. Also gotta think ahead and cant pack a hot stove so moving is not something you can do on a whim. So going in a new spot where you may be moving every day or two isnt a great idea. What did I get wrong?

Gotcha_

FNG
If I had to do it over again, I think I’d get the argali. The silnylon on my Cimmaron sags so much at the slightest hint of moisture, while my silpoly tarp stays taught as a drum.
Actually a good thing to think about though, I would think the stove drys out the Sil-ny and reduce sagging?

If the tent gets cold in the type of weather you'd want to bring it in, condensation will occur and you'd need to start another fire to dry it out.

I only have 4 nights in a hot tent, so pretty limited experience, but it was cold enough when we were camping that the condensation froze to the inside of the tent. We ran the stove all evening while hanging out in the tent, eating supper, etc and condensation was never an issue while the stove was burning. We then went to sleep and let the stove burn out. In the morning, the inside of the tent would be covered with frost. We would light the stove and the frost would all melt (but wouldn't drip), and then just burn off..

As far as moving, we would hunt that area in the morning, and then if we were going to move, we'd come back to camp and pack up the tent and stove. Others may have better suggestions..

Gotcha_

FNG
I only have 4 nights in a hot tent, so pretty limited experience, but it was cold enough when we were camping that the condensation froze to the inside of the tent. We ran the stove all evening while hanging out in the tent, eating supper, etc and condensation was never an issue while the stove was burning. We then went to sleep and let the stove burn out. In the morning, the inside of the tent would be covered with frost. We would light the stove and the frost would all melt (but wouldn't drip), and then just burn off..

As far as moving, we would hunt that area in the morning, and then if we were going to move, we'd come back to camp and pack up the tent and stove. Others may have better suggestions..
Thanks, run a liner? What Hot tent?

Actually a good thing to think about though, I would think the stove drys out the Sil-ny and reduce sagging?
When you’re running the stove, it does dry out and tighten back up, but in my experience, it’ll sag a good bit just from overnight condensation, let alone some precip while you’re out for the day.

Sag can also be fixed in the a.m. by bumping the pole up a click.
Yeah, I’ve found that to work, too. I’m always nervous that adding tension to fix sag will overstrain the shelter or my stakes when everything dries out.

Still, my silpoly tarp has required zero maintenance to maintain a perfect pitch, so in the future, I’m going to go with silpoly over silnylon anytime that’s an option.

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, I’ve found that to work, too. I’m always nervous that adding tension to fix sag will overstrain the shelter or my stakes when everything dries out.

Still, my silpoly tarp has required zero maintenance to maintain a perfect pitch, so in the future, I’m going to go with silpoly over silnylon anytime that’s an option.
Yeah I can see that. I will say, you don't have to worry about the shelter tension, at least with ours. Having that stretch is intentional. It is much better for bad weather to have that stretch. Think about the frame on a car, you gotta have some flex otherwise the frame would crack. If you don't have flex in the fabric, the seams (which are always going to be the weakest spot on a shelter due to a needle punching a hole through the fabric) take the brunt of the tension. Silpoly works fine on smaller shelters and tarps but we have tested bigger shelters and they always fail in high winds.

Yeah I can see that. I will say, you don't have to worry about the shelter tension, at least with ours. Having that stretch is intentional. It is much better for bad weather to have that stretch. Think about the frame on a car, you gotta have some flex otherwise the frame would crack. If you don't have flex in the fabric, the seams (which are always going to be the weakest spot on a shelter due to a needle punching a hole through the fabric) take the brunt of the tension. Silpoly works fine on smaller shelters and tarps but we have tested bigger shelters and they always fail in high winds.
Ryan, that makes good sense! Thank you for explaining that. Knowing that design tradeoff makes the decision to stick with silnylon make a lot more sense. Out of curiosity, what kinds of winds have you tested the Cimmaron (in different materials and silnylon) out to? Most of my campsites are in the trees, but I have one winter trip a year that puts me above tree line, and I’ve never brought my Cimmaron because we’ve run into extreme winds a few times, but our alternative mountaineering tent is extremely heavy.