Snowshoeing

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
here's one possible alternative to snowshoeing- Altai skis- short and wide, metal edges with a permanent climbing skin built in, I've found them to be about the same time heading up drainages as snowshoes, much quicker out. if it's really gnarly country, snowshoes have a big edge, but otherwise a viable alternative

skisamptiak_zpsxyzoe2ou.jpg

bridge_zpsllghpzzl.jpg

I snowshoe or backcountry ski weekly all winter and Snowshoes or climbing skins stay in or on my pack during he winter months . For me snowshoes are great for straight line of sight climbs (lierally travel strainght up a mountainside) and land nav way point training since you can literally travel in a straight line over terrain that is usually covered by impassible white thorn and manzanita. Snowshoeing replacing hiking and backcountry skiing replaces mountain biking for me in the winter. I've use the same ol MSR Ascent snoeshoes with detachable tails for over 10 years.

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
I get out from time to time, but not nearly as much as I'd like to. I enjoy it quite a bit more than I had ever thought that I would.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own snowshoes but will be getting them really soon, and for the whole family. Our hiking really slows down in the winter to nothing after the first of the new year. Snowshoes will definitely broaden our horizons.

OP
justinspicher
I don't spend a lot of time on trails, especially during the winter. Regardless, I'd like to try them out.

Justin, One of the great things about a good snowpack is you dont need trails. You can travel over WAY more terrain that isn't accessible in other conditions.

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
Snowshoeing is something the wife, and I have been eyeballing recently as well. I think it would allow us to hike some of the trails that are very busy during the dry months without nearly as much traffic. I really like the look, and functionality of the MSR's with the ability to add additional paddle.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
check into the skis I posted up above, Altai (I think they are a CO based company). They climb almost as well as snowshoes (they have permanent skins built in), but are much quicker downhill

In my experience using skis with climbing skins vs snowshoes is ALOT different. Most of my use is off trail in nonpacked deep snow. If its packed Ill usually just be walking with normal shoes or something. With my snowshoes I can go anywhere within a few miles and have confidence that I can navigate steep ice runnel and sun cupped type stuff and thick bushy or wooded areas with little issue . These types of terrains suck with skis and skins even if you use a ski crampon . Were skis excel is with long distance or more wide open terrain with less bushes and chopped up ice bumps, runnels, and sun cups. A backcountry skier with skins will SMOKE a snowshoe user in distance or open terrain (not even close). Just 2 different uses IMO. I keep snowshoes strapped to my hiking pack all winter and have a separate setup with my avalanche gear etc for when I'm skiing.

OP
justinspicher
In my experience using skis with climbing skins vs snowshoes is ALOT different. Most of my use is off trail in nonpacked deep snow. If its packed Ill usually just be walking with normal shoes or something. With my snowshoes I can go anywhere within a few miles and have confidence that I can navigate steep ice runnel and sun cupped type stuff and thick bushy or wooded areas with little issue . These types of terrains suck with skis and skins even if you use a ski crampon . Were skis excel is with long distance or more wide open terrain with less bushes and chopped up ice bumps, runnels, and sun cups. A backcountry skier with skins will SMOKE a snowshoe user in distance or open terrain (not even close). Just 2 different uses IMO. I keep snowshoes strapped to my hiking pack all winter and have a separate setup with my avalanche gear etc for when I'm skiing.

This is more along my thought process.

I really enjoy snowshoeing and I have a pair of MSR Lightning Ascents. They are a great show made here in the USA! A good set of poles is a must to have. I really enjoy getting out coyote and wolf hunting on them. It's a great exercise and a lot of fun.

David

CoHiCntry

WKR
here's one possible alternative to snowshoeing- Altai skis- short and wide, metal edges with a permanent climbing skin built in, I've found them to be about the same time heading up drainages as snowshoes, much quicker out. if it's really gnarly country, snowshoes have a big edge, but otherwise a viable alternative

skisamptiak_zpsxyzoe2ou.jpg

bridge_zpsllghpzzl.jpg

Thanks for posting this. They look like a great alternative when there's not enough snow to justify snowshoes. Walk and glide with the ability for moderate uphills and quick downhills! Thinking really hard about pulling the trigger on some of these and trying it out...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the other thing I'd mention on the Altai skis is you can use different binding options, both pairs of mine have the universal bindings- can be used with any boots, but you can also get them with traditional 3 pin bindings or more modern click in x-country back country bindings

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I used to go all the time snowshoe hare hunting in AK. I have Crescent Moons and think they are awesome. Big thing is getting the right flotation for your body weight. Mine are 36" shoes, but work well. Going small equals more work.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you navigating timber and or steep angles the msr options are a very good choice as the added traction on the frames along with the design make for easier navigation and less tangles equaling less time upside down👍