Snows and Blues

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
We had a fire in the backyard tonight in the Des Moines area. Flocks one right after the other flew over us for the couple hours we were out.

KurtR

WKR
Got another 10 dozen decoys on the way for when they get here in Sodak. I got friends pounding juvies down in Missouri so seems they are spread out pretty good and won’t all just blow over us here.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I'm in Carroll County about 75 miles west of Des Moines, and about 110 east of Omaha. There is a huge marsh complex in Greene County called Dunbar Slough that stretches across at least 3 sections a few miles east of me. I'm guessing these birds roughly follow the Raccoon River drainage NW and on into SW MN and SE SD. Weather is supposed to be calm and warm tomorrow, and not sure if they will hang around and rest or continue on the move. Very little hunting pressure here...

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in Carroll County about 75 miles west of Des Moines, and about 110 east of Omaha. There is a huge marsh complex in Greene County called Dunbar Slough that stretches across at least 3 sections a few miles east of me. I'm guessing these birds roughly follow the Raccoon River drainage NW and on into SW MN and SE SD. Weather is supposed to be calm and warm tomorrow, and not sure if they will hang around and rest or continue on the move. Very little hunting pressure here...
I do some pheasant out at Dunbar. The big wetland area around here is full of them too.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I do some pheasant out at Dunbar. The big wetland area around here is full of them too.
My best friend owns the acreage on the south side of the “middle” unit along the county black top. If you’re ever interested in an overnight hunt or base camp he has a fully furnished 2 bedroom cabin to rent.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
My best friend owns the acreage on the south side of the “middle” unit along the county black top. If you’re ever interested in an overnight hunt or base camp he has a fully furnished 2 bedroom cabin to rent.
Excellent! I will keep that in mind. I hunt out there a few times every fall. Probably cheaper to rent the cabin than drive back and forth.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Excellent! I will keep that in mind. I hunt out there a few times every fall. Probably cheaper to rent the cabin than drive back and forth.
Roger that man and he is less than 50 yards from the main parking lot, and has his own private lane to the cabin. PM me sometime if you want his number.

Smallie

WKR
Just got back from Thurman, Iowa about 10 days ago. We were a tad early but still had a good hunt. Tons of birds moving but not a lot of juvies yet migration was just starting

Attachments

• 45DAB88F-A2D3-4CE3-BA02-9C7792440391.jpeg
    45DAB88F-A2D3-4CE3-BA02-9C7792440391.jpeg
    388 KB · Views: 8

KurtR

WKR
Just talked to my Dad and he just saw his first snows in Watertown sd so the leading edge is moving north