Snow goose trip

KurtR

WKR
You said you’re thinking they might blow over you into north dakota if snow doesn’t hit you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With no snow line nothing will stop them from migrating really fast. Food will not be covered and all they need is a little water and they just keep on trucking north. Talking mid 40 here next week and long term look warm . A year with no snow a few year ago they were through here by mid March

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
With no snow line nothing will stop them from migrating really fast. Food will not be covered and all they need is a little water and they just keep on trucking north. Talking mid 40 here next week and long term look warm . A year with no snow a few year ago they were through here by mid March

hopefully the ice stops them if snow won’t

Superdoo

WKR
Not much for snow in central ND. Forecast next week calls for 37 degrees.
We could still see a white walrus come through between now and May though.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Any updates from you guys chasing snows? warmer weather seems to be here now

Fatcamp

WKR
I usually see my first geese the first week of March in southern SD. Just a few, but looks like spring.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
I usually see my first geese the first week of March in southern SD. Just a few, but looks like spring.

Let me know what you keep seeing as the weeks move on, hopefully end of march is still decent timing for southern ND

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back today from hunting snows in Arkansas and it was SLOW. It was below freezing and 6-8 inches of snow everywhere, all the birds went back further south. Warmer weather this week tho should have them moving up a bit

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Superdoo

WKR
We are about out of snow in the Bismarck area after today. My yard just has frozen patches of water.
Temps are scheduled to dip a little in the forecast, but no snow is being called for.

WCB

WKR
There are always pockets of birds around until well after season ends in May. Hell I found a pocket of probably 2,000 juvies while fishing in ND in June. Have to put on more miles but normally the shoots are much better after the main push anyways.

Now if you are stuck to one area like lower 1/3 of ND might be slim pickings depending on migration. I wouldn't worry too much about the snow in Nebraska, Iowa or that area. 1 week of warm weather and it will be gone.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
There are always pockets of birds around until well after season ends in May. Hell I found a pocket of probably 2,000 juvies while fishing in ND in June. Have to put on more miles but normally the shoots are much better after the main push anyways.

Now if you are stuck to one area like lower 1/3 of ND might be slim pickings depending on migration. I wouldn't worry too much about the snow in Nebraska, Iowa or that area. 1 week of warm weather and it will be gone.

you think birds will be through southern ND by last week of march?

as.ks.ak

WKR
you think birds will be through southern ND by last week of march?

Dude, if youve truly spent time hunting them you oughta know one thing. They are unpredictable. The whole lot of them could up and decide to not go back to water, and ride a wind at night and jump a whole state.

One year in KS. The snow line progressed just right and the birds were there one day and gone the next. I had moved up to AK by then but my hunting buddies down there were pissed! They waited all year for the white devil chase and had to either go up into Nebraska to hunt them or pack their sh*t and call it a year!

I imagine like anywhere, if you’re not sure birds are going to be there still, there’s probably going to be pockets around. You’re just going to have to work for them. But like was said before, those juvie pockets are dynamite!! Screw the crystals, chase the dirty birds!

Send us updates as your hunt progresses! It’s been over 5 years since I was under a big spin. Man, what a rush!

Fatcamp

WKR
Juvies. Leading edge with a good spread can be amazing, bit for shooting birds.......

And totally agree, snow geese are unknowable.

KurtR

WKR
kinda looking at the 10 day from south up to here i think its going to be early. Little to no snow and highs in the 40-50. I have a feeling its going to be a fast move and makes sense since i just bought a bunch of decoys and decided to get back into year

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
kinda looking at the 10 day from south up to here i think its going to be early. Little to no snow and highs in the 40-50. I have a feeling its going to be a fast move and makes sense since i just bought a bunch of decoys and decided to get back into year

that’s what i was thinking, hopefully we can hit the back edge and get juvies, or at least left over stragglers

The secret is out on the juvies in the Dakotas. You might find that group of a few thousand stragglers but there will be ten trucks circling them.

You're better off to be ahead of them and shooting them as migrators coming into an area.

Ideally you want to set up on a feed, preferably with multiple roosts coming to it, with the potential to stay there for migrators. Move when you find a better option. All the better if you have water and corn.