Smoking ---

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
This has been my jam lately.

I saw a hunk of meat on Tootsie Tomanetz Chef's Table Netflix special and reverse engineered it.

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

They are reasonably forgiving as long as you keep an eye on the temp. I cringe whenever I see somebody cook them to 203 like a brisket.

That's funny. One of the "best" tri-tips that I have made was that way. Mostly by accident... I was trying the brisket method and the temperature in my kamado got a little high. After smoking awhile, I foil boated it with the fat cap down. I had not shaved the fat cap at all and roast essentially confitted in its own fat in that foil package.

It was incredible.

Marble

WKR
Forgive me if it’s already been mentioned, what’s your guys go to tri tip recipe on a pellet smoker?
Smoke for 90 minutes on cold smoke, remove and season. Wrap and put in the fridge overnight or until you are ready to use it.

When cooking, I set it to 275, and it can go 45-75 minutes depending on size and how many tritips are on the grill. I like it around 120 degrees IT.

Let stand for~30 minutes.

Put your favorite rub on it w/mustard as base for seasoning.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
That's funny. One of the "best" tri-tips that I have made was that way. Mostly by accident... I was trying the brisket method and the temperature in my kamado got a little high. After smoking awhile, I foil boated it with the fat cap down. I had not shaved the fat cap at all and roast essentially confitted in its own fat in that foil package.

It was incredible.
Watch out for lymph nodes under the fat cap. I’ve come across some gross looking ones over the years.
While I’m all for pink and mooing when it comes to tri tip, cooking one like a brisket has crossed my mind a few times.

On a related note...well-prepared meat doesn't  need any sauce, but BBQ sauce is often an expectation and can be a good complement to good meat. I use this recipe from Aaron Franklin's book:
  • 14 Tbsp ketchup
  • 5 Tbsp water
  • 2 Tbsp + 1-1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp + 1-1/2 tsp white vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp + 3/4 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp + 3/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1-1/2 tsp chile powder
  • 1-1/2 tsp cumin
  • 3/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 3/4 tsp black pepper
Combine ingredients in pot, simmer, and stir until well-mixed. Yields ≈16 fl oz.

Watch out for lymph nodes under the fat cap. I’ve come across some gross looking ones over the years.
While I’m all for pink and mooing when it comes to tri tip, cooking one like a brisket has crossed my mind a few times.

That's good advice.

I don't think I knew what it was yet, when I cooked that one. It definitely crossed my mind later on though. There's definitely some kind of gland or lymph node in about the middle of the day cap.

I've found lately that I actually prefer the more toothsome cuts cooked a little more towards a solid "medium." They can be kind of chewy closer to rare.