Smoking ---

What offset smoker do you use? I’m tempted to get one for a few hundred bucks and see how I like it before dropping a wad of cash on one.
I've used a number of them, Dad has a Brazos River, I think. Around here it's not too hard to get a lightly used $7-800 offset for $200 ish.

I have a couple of different Hasty Bakes. Made here in town, they're vaguely like a fancy, square, vertical barrel smoker. With an adjustable fire box.

Azone

WKR
Tri tip and yard bird leg quarters get the most action at my place. Fresh made sausage and skirt steak will also get plenty of action when they’re available.

Anyone on here doing sweetbreads?

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Someone school me on the likeness of the tritip, please. I've had it the one time i visited the left coast, but it doesn't compare to a filet, imo.

If you like the flavor of filet, not much else has that no fat flavor. I much prefer the flavor of some fat with my beef (ribeye, tri-tip, new york). Tri-tip can be slow cooked or cooked fast. I like to smoke it, then sear it to 120-125 and shave it thin after it rests. Makes great Cheesesteaks.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the flavor of filet, not much else has that no fat flavor. I much prefer the flavor of some fat with my beef (ribeye, tri-tip, new york). Tri-tip can be slow cooked or cooked fast. I like to smoke it, then sear it to 120-125 and shave it thin after it rests. Makes great Cheesesteaks.
Thanks. It was probably due to the people I was with talking it up the way they were. It wasn't bad by any means, but I haven't gone out and bought one for the grill. Personal preference, I guess.

svivian

WKR
Only since no one else has mentioned it, I like to do pizzas in my smoker. Sometimes I cheat even and just do a papa murphys pizza if it’s after work.
IMG_2473.jpeg

Someone school me on the likeness of the tritip, please. I've had it the one time i visited the left coast, but it doesn't compare to a filet, imo.
Not much compares to a filet... I don't personally don't care for them too much.

I've had some pretty mediocre tri tip, but I really like it when it's done well.

Medium rare with some char is my favorite.

I typically slice it fairly thin, and typically make chimichurri to go with it. It's always a hit, and pretty cheap for as much as people tend to enjoy it.

Jimmy

WKR

Tritip isn't as tender as filet and usually trimmed less fatty than a thick ribeye. But it's really really damn good. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Smoked is good, but so is grilled hot so the outside has a nice bark and the inside is med-rare. Slicing as thin as you can increases how tender it chews.

bpa556

Lil-Rokslider
Ribs for weekend.

Tri-tip or Picanha for fancier fare.

Brisket for a crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its dang good if done right. I do at least one a week. Costco seems to have the best around here. I use mustard as a binder then season with montreal seasoning and garlic salt. 5 minutes on each side over the coals then pull off direct heat for about 12 minutes gives me a perfect medium rare with a good bark on the top. Like everyone else said, slice it thin is the way to go.

SWOHTR

WKR
Did a brisket on Sunday. Week before that was ribs. This week, I'm doing bacon. Haven't done wings in a while. But like others, tri-tip is a frequent dish. Cost-ease ratio is about right for an afternoon smoke. I love brisket and butt, the "problem" is the time commitment.

If anyone cares, my recommendation for getting into an offset smoker is to get a cheap one at first to learn the ropes and figure out if you like it. Then budget for a nice offset...1/4" all-welded, minimum. I started w/ a char-griller offset and have upgraded to a Yoder Loaded Wichita. Expensive, but man it has yet to turn out anything bad.

Then of course there's the kamado do do pizzas and other light-to-medium duty smoking.

bpa556

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone on here doing sweetbreads?

All the time!! One of our favorites.

They’re usually referred to as mollejas where I live. They’re getting harder to find in grocery stores.

I set them in a cool corner of the offset when smoking a butt or brisket. Let them slow cook there for several hours (3-5) to get tender. Then slide them over near the firebox to get crispy.

Lots of folks boil them before grilling to speed up the tenderization part, and they’re still good, but I prefer them my way.

For me, I would rather have the density and flavor of the trip-tip. A filet beats it in tenderness but that's about it. Rendered fat cap and sliced thin, I'll take the trip-tip all day. A little more chew, a lot less cost. We make tacos with chimichurri typically. Also, the size of the cut generally means you can give it more heat to get a really nice crust without overcooking the middle. Plus, with the non-uniform shape, you get different areas cooked more or less so everyone gets their preferred "doneness."

Azone

WKR
All the time!! One of our favorites.

They’re usually referred to as mollejas where I live. They’re getting harder to find in grocery stores.

I set them in a cool corner of the offset when smoking a butt or brisket. Let them slow cook there for several hours (3-5) to get tender. Then slide them over near the firebox to get crispy.

Lots of folks boil them before grilling to speed up the tenderization part, and they’re still good, but I prefer them my way.

I do them up high over direct heat and they are quite tasty. Some good salsa or some garlic butter on top always goes well with them.

It's not like a filet at all. Very coarse-grained with a decent amount of fat. Like others said, does really well at medium rare. I have cooked hundreds of them and have really settled on reverse searing to an IT of 123-126 as my favorite. They are reasonably forgiving as long as you keep an eye on the temp. I cringe whenever I see somebody cook them to 203 like a brisket.

A lot of people get tripped up doing a tritip because the cut has two different grain directions. If you slice it the same direction, about half of it will be tough and stringy.