Smoking ---

I do a lot of tri tips. Been doing a bit more chicken thighs lately also. I’ve been wanting to try a brisket but haven’t yet. Are you guys that are doing brisket using a pellet smoker or an offset? I used to use my pellet smoker all the time but have been using charcoal and really like the flavor I get from charcoal. I do want to get an offset and see how I like one of those.

Marble

WKR
I'm not a really big fan of ribs. I like them, but rarely make them.

My preference if I was going to make a larger roast would be a brisket or a prime rib.

An easy one for me is a whole chicken, split down the back.

For those who plan on smoking something and have advanced notice, try doing a cold smoke (130-150) for a few hours, then season your meat and wrap it for several days on the fridge.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I do a lot of tri tips. Been doing a bit more chicken thighs lately also. I’ve been wanting to try a brisket but haven’t yet. Are you guys that are doing brisket using a pellet smoker or an offset? I used to use my pellet smoker all the time but have been using charcoal and really like the flavor I get from charcoal. I do want to get an offset and see how I like one of those.
I use a pellet smoker. I put it on a rack with pan under it with some water. I've tried all sorts of rubs, but my best briskets have been salt and pepper. I paper wrap it at 185 and let it go to 195-200. Let stand for about an hour before serving. Try not to poke it bunch to check the temp so as much juice as possible stays.

I use a pellet smoker. I put it on a rack with pan under it with some water. I've tried all sorts of rubs, but my best briskets have been salt and pepper. I paper wrap it at 185 and let it go to 195-200. Let stand for about an hour before serving. Try not to poke it bunch to check the temp so as much juice as possible stays.

Awesome thank you, I think I may try one this weekend.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Beef ribs are always a hit, as are brisket and pulled pork. Beef ribs for a fancy feast is nice as they come out looking like a mass of wonderful meat and can either slice by bone or carve the meat off and slice along with veggies.

Only way I'll eat chicken is smoked since they get pulled at the right temp and I can't mess them up ( though I did get a woody chicken once and thought I o er cooked the ever loving heck out of it until the bone broke before the ligament holding the drum to the thigh).

My testicles have dropped, so I don't use a pellet smoker.

But you should try a brisket.

IDVortex

WKR
Tri-tip is my number 1, second so far is home.made hamburge patties with cheese, chopped up bacon and a chopped up jalapeño in them.

Are you guys that are doing brisket using a pellet smoker or an offset?
I've done brisket on both. I prefer an old school offset stick burner. Pellet feels like cheating. The people eating it won't be able to tell the difference though.

I use a simple dry rub consisting of kosher salt, black pepper, and chili powder. Smoke to ≈175°F internal temp then wrap in peach paper and continue smoking to ≈200°F. Rest for an hour in a well-insulated cooler then slice/chop and serve.

PacNW

FNG
Chicken smoked on Sundays (then put through an inexpensive deli slicer for nibbling by the family all week); reverse sear tri-tip, beef/pork ribs, or venison burgers for occasional midweek fun; and given the coals are going, I like to add veggies (tomatoes, onions, chiles and garlic) to roast on the grill for a batch of smoky salsa. Fancy for me (Weber with baskets for offset heat) would be smoked salmon at low temps for breakfast bagels.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
quick and tasty dinner, spatchcock chicken at @375 ( i guess that's just grilling, but it's on a smoker)
weekends with time. Ribs 5ish hours at 250, no wrap no spritz no bs. look for 1/2 pullback for doneness. Fall of the bone is overcooked.
Poor man burnt ends from a cubed pork shoulder make a good party food also.

Staples:
Tri-tip- low temp smoked to 110°, then seared to 120°, wrapped and in a cooler for 30-60 min.

Barbacoa- Chuck roast, venison shoulder, shanks, and/or necks smoked for a few hours then into a bath of stock, onions, chiles, garlic to braise. Pull for tacos or whatever.

Ribs- Sometimes wrap, sometimes not depending on what I'm feeling like. Been wrapping more lately.

Wings- smoke for a bit, then finish on gasser

Fancy:
Rib roast

Bacon wrapped, stuffed pork loin

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
For everyday...Like, TONIGHT, when I get home form work, tough to beat smoked chicken thighs.

When I have a little more time I like to do a rack of ribs. I've messed up too many briskets to justify the expense for a piece of meat I'm just going to ruin. But cheers to you fellas that do it properly!

My testicles have dropped, so I don't use a pellet smoker.

But you should try a brisket.
hahahahahahahaha

What offset smoker do you use? I’m tempted to get one for a few hundred bucks and see how I like it before dropping a wad of cash on one.

I wouldn't buy one for a couple hundred. It's usually cheaply made overseas out of sheet metal. Throw your pellet pooper on the side of the road with a cardboard sign saying "free" and buy a quality 1/4" welded offset. You'll have it forever. Lyfe tyme's are about as entry level as I would consider (although I'm not a huge fan of their stacks, pit itself and craftsmanship is quality enough), i certainly wouldn't look cheaper.

Camp Chef Pellet smoker/grill with side burner

Pork butt- pulled pork
Baby back ribs
Spatchcocked chicken
Spatchcocked turkey breast
Brisket
Prime rib

In that order of frequency and fancy. For all the 'white' meats, I use the same rub- kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili pepper, cumin, paprika (smoked is best but $$$). A guy can add white and brown sugar to this rub for a little sweetness as well.

For beef I do salt and pepper and may add some rose mary, italian seasoning, or some other aromatic to brighten it up.

I was looking to try chuck roasts as well, but last trip to Sam's and they're over $6/lb. Ridiculous.

Jimmy

WKR
Tritip, pork butt, chicken. Made this smoked chicken salad recipe and everyone loved it, huge hit. The smoked chicken and the sweet grapes, delicious.

hahahahahahahaha

I wouldn't buy one for a couple hundred. It's usually cheaply made overseas out of sheet metal. Throw your pellet pooper on the side of the road with a cardboard sign saying "free" and buy a quality 1/4" welded offset. You'll have it forever. Lyfe tyme's are about as entry level as I would consider (although I'm not a huge fan of their stacks, pit itself and craftsmanship is quality enough), i certainly wouldn't look cheaper.
Those aren't as expensive as I thought they'd be. I could spend that much on something thats much better quality. Thanks for the recommendation!

tony

WKR
Pretty much pork butt
Have done ribs, burgers, baked beans.
It’s just 2 of us so I don’t want food waste. 5-6 pounds of pork pushes it.

TaperPin

WKR
hahahahahahahaha

I agree completely. I was given a cheap Oklahoma Joe offset from Lowes and I did all the mods people talk about and just get enough time with it to make good food, but it’s too small, heat is still a bear to regulate, the thin metal is starting to fail, and rather than enjoying the process, it’s like a neighbors barking dog that never shuts up - always a pain in the arse. :)

I just came into possession of an older Weber charcoal kettle grill after 30 years of Weber gas grilling.
The flavor is back!
Real hardwood lump charcoal started in a chimney without any petroleum added with a few apple chunks thrown in and the flavor is amazing.
I did baby asparagus and broccoli in a grill pan and it is in another dimension.
I haven't tried anything low and slow yet but standard grilling has taken me back to when I loved grilled meats.
Pan seared steaks on the grill(cast iron pan)and deglaze with red wine and a bit of butter at the end makes a great pan sauce for finishing.