Smith Machine

WKR
My 56-year-old shoulders often ache and I'm going to give the close grip Smith Machine bench press a try.

Anyone like the Smith Machine? Use it regularly? Feel like it benefits you?

Trr15

WKR
I’ve started using the smith machine more the past 2 years. It gives me the ability to isolate muscle groups better than free weights. I still primarily utilize dumbbells/barbell for pressing, but the smith machine adds variety and can be a good change of pace. A modified skull crusher/close grip bench press is a great triceps exercise on a smith machine.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
The gymowner/ trainer I go to has a lot of shoulder injury guys come in. our 6 week training splits hardly ever has normal flat bench also no smith machine.
We utilize many press movements. Here are a few, my shoulders have never felt better.

Slight incline DB banded press, use of chains to load the top with a neutral bar for bench, assisted resistance band bench, free motion cable presses, chain weight elevated push-ups, hammer press machine.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
My brother got a Smith Machine a couple of months ago. I never actually got a chance to try it out but according to my brother, it was a good buy. My brother and I both never had any shoulder injuries though.