Smart watch

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know anything about smart watches so I’m reaching out to community for help. The Warden (my wife) has been asking for an Apple Watch for work for some time now. She’s a nurse and her reasons for wanting one is for taking vitals on patients, seeing the time, tracking her sleep, heart rate when she’s working out, not having to have her phone in her pocket and when she is with a patient, she can see on her wrist if someone calls or texts since her phone is on silent as to not be rude. I’m assuming the few features she is going to use on the watch don’t necessarily warrant getting an Apple Watch, but I could be completely wrong since I know nothing about them. Is there anything comparable that works just as good/better than an Apple Watch? I know the majority here use their watches for hunting purposes so I’m just hoping someone has a little insight for me. Thanks!

If she has an iPhone the Apple Watch features are pretty hard to beat. I’m not a smart watch user, but apple’s “walled garden” makes it difficult for other smart watches to really compete for daily tasks. Apple really does a great job making their products pretty seamless. If she wants an apple watch she probably won’t be happy with whatever random substitution you buy :D

Typically you can get a few generations old apple watch that will do everything just fine and save some money.

Seems like the popular option here are the Garmin watches, but because she likely won’t need the durability or mapping I would just buy her an older apple watch.

My warden is an RN too. Get her the apple watch. 1 of the only true victories Ive had in gift buying. Ive heard her say on multiple occasions she doesnt know how she worked without it.

I use the Garmin Instinct 2x (and every instinct before it), never take it off, but I floated one of the smaller Instincts and a fenix by her and she didnt seem to be too interested. Id just go for the apple watch.

Last edited:

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Samsung smart watch that I loved, wish I could wear them now, but can't take them in where I work.

bnsafe

WKR
I WAY prefer my garmin, but, my wife loves her apple. bottom line, if she wants a apple get her a apple or she wont be happy. They are extremely handy. Figure out what size and color she wants, and she may prefer the ultra if she works out. If she is gonna connect it to her phone carrier make sure you get one that can do that also, I think, and I could be wrong as I dont use apple, they are specific to verizon, t mobile, etc. Lastly, make sure you get the lastest model (9 or ultra 2 right now). Shes a nurse, she deserves it (one nurse standing up or another here, lol)

I WAY prefer my garmin, but, my wife loves her apple. bottom line, if she wants a apple get her a apple or she wont be happy. They are extremely handy. Figure out what size and color she wants, and she may prefer the ultra if she works out. If she is gonna connect it to her phone carrier make sure you get one that can do that also, I think, and I could be wrong as I dont use apple, they are specific to verizon, t mobile, etc. Lastly, make sure you get the lastest model (9 or ultra 2 right now). Shes a nurse, she deserves it (one nurse standing up or another here, lol)
Not to highjack the thread, but what do you prefer about your garmin?

bnsafe

WKR
Im a old simple guy, but I work out pretty hard. The garmin use to have ALOT more work out features for triathletes and I still think they are better for working out. Now, the new ultra 2 seems to have closed that gap some.
MOSTLY tho, my fenix 7 will give me a legit 21 days of battery life. My wife has to charge her watch every day. I put mine on and forget it for weeks. If I go on a week elk hunt I dont even give it a second thought.
I cant do all the phone features with it, but it does show me texts, whos calling, etc. Thats all I need, I dont need to text from a watch, heck I couldnt see it to do it anyway. Lastly, I think garmin is head an shoulders above apple in outdoor apps like gps, etc.

fwafwow

WKR
Fwiw I have the Garmin Instinct which I love but just purchased the Apple Ultra 2 for myself. The battery will go a couple of days (short compared to my Garmin, but better than prior Apple Watches), and you don’t need to get a cell plan (as long as you have your iPhone with you).

Nothing will integrate with an iPhone like an Apple watch.

Plus it's what she wants.

I love my Garmin, but if my wife ever upgrades from her FitBit, it'll be an Apple watch.

My wife has an Apple Watch and loves it. As for me, I don’t wear watches. It’s pointless doing what I do for a living. If I did wear one it would be a Garmin.

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I had an Apple Watch and ended up getting a garmin fenix series. They’ve both got perks. Regardless get the sapphire crystal model so they won’t scratch. I’ve beaten mine hard. Garmin battery lasts 21 days compared to 1 with apple and I feel like it tracks my mtb rides and workouts better

OP
I Am Gunz

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all of the input from everyone. I should have probably stated this in the original post, but she does currently have an iPhone so she wouldn’t need the cell plan for the watch, just to connect to her phone. General consensus is to just buy the Apple Watch, which I figured was going to be the case. A few said buy an older version to save some coin, and some said to buy the newer one. What’s the big differences between them? As for the Garmin crowd out there, how do they pair with an IPhone? I would assume pretty good but again I know nothing about any of this. Thanks again to everyone.

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all of the input from everyone. I should have probably stated this in the original post, but she does currently have an iPhone so she wouldn’t need the cell plan for the watch, just to connect to her phone. General consensus is to just buy the Apple Watch, which I figured was going to be the case. A few said buy an older version to save some coin, and some said to buy the newer one. What’s the big differences between them? As for the Garmin crowd out there, how do they pair with an IPhone? I would assume pretty good but again I know nothing about any of this. Thanks again to everyone.
The Apple Watch is basically a tiny iPhone on your wrist. The garmin is pretty bare bones, can’t reply or even read texts on mine. But if you get a non cellular watch, your phones always in your pocket anyway. It’s hard to track sleep patterns with an Apple Watch though just because of battery life. I would always charge mine at night or it would be dead by morning sometime. It’s a tough call but for legit fitness metrics I think garmin wins out. I def would get the Apple Watch Ultra if getting another Apple.

fwafwow

WKR
The Apple Watch is basically a tiny iPhone on your wrist.
Yes - but. There are limitations on what apps are available for the Apple Watch, and how well they work on them. Noticed so far me - no Proton Mail app, and the Delta app functionality is limited. There may be others.
The garmin is pretty bare bones, can’t reply or even read texts on mine. But if you get a non cellular watch, your phones always in your pocket anyway.
Yeah. I sometimes wish I was wearing my Garmin or a dumb watch to check out. And I kept it, so I may switch out periodically.
It’s hard to track sleep patterns with an Apple Watch though just because of battery life. I would always charge mine at night or it would be dead by morning sometime.
This isn’t the case anymore, at least for the Ultra 2. I was holding out on getting an Apple Watch for this very reason. I have charged mine every couple of days, maybe when showering or watching TV. It doesn’t take too long, and I never had it go below 25%.
It’s a tough call but for legit fitness metrics I think garmin wins out. I def would get the Apple Watch Ultra if getting another Apple.
I can’t compare the Garmin too much, as I was not working out as much. But for me the fitness ease of use on the Apple makes me use the fitness options more (or I’m rationalizing the spend).

fwafwow

WKR
I appreciate all of the input from everyone. I should have probably stated this in the original post, but she does currently have an iPhone so she wouldn’t need the cell plan for the watch, just to connect to her phone. General consensus is to just buy the Apple Watch, which I figured was going to be the case. A few said buy an older version to save some coin, and some said to buy the newer one. What’s the big differences between them?
The Apple website has a good comparison of their models.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My mom, who is not techy at all and is also an RN, had an Apple watch, when it died she got a Garmin (at my recommendation), she ended up giving it to my sister and getting another Apple watch. If your wife wants a Apple watch, I would just get her that.

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
My mom, who is not techy at all and is also an RN, had an Apple watch, when it died she got a Garmin (at my recommendation), she ended up giving it to my sister and getting another Apple watch. If your wife wants an Apple watch, I would just get her that.
The end of this is honestly all that matters…

BKM

FNG
Everyday use Apple no question, if it’s used more for running/biking/exercise the Garmin is better

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Apple works better with the phone.

Garmin does just about everything else better

WKR
Apple watch is much better as a smartwatch with limited health/fitness functions.

Garmin is much better as a health/fitness tracker, with limited smartwatch functions.

I just upgraded to the Epix Pro in Garmin and it's outstanding for my use case.

They're quite different things, so I'd go with the Apple for her.