Slings

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I am finalizing gear for the 2019 rifle seasons, I was planning on putting a basic sling on my rifle to put on shoulder when it’s not on my backpack.

It got me thinking about the positional shooting slings, how many of you use these and find them useful?

It looks like they could be very beneficial for a fast paced 200-300 yard kneeling shot or something unconventional where prone isn’t an option. Thanks guys.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Interested to hear the feedback as well. I took off my sling last season due to my gunbearer.

Figured not having something in the way would help with quicker offhand presentation but wondering if some extra stability for a hasty setup would be worth it (maybe something like a Magpul MS1).

Interested to hear the feedback as well. I took off my sling last season due to my gunbearer.

Figured not having something in the way would help with quicker offhand presentation but wondering if some extra stability for a hasty setup would be worth it (maybe something like a Magpul MS1).

I run a gun bearer when rifle hunting. I eventually dumped the sling altogether and have paracord in my pack/kill kit where I could always improvise if I needed too. But in the last few years I have never needed it not one time. Just something to think about and try.

adamjp

FNG
Magpul MS1 is a relatively lightweight sling with plenty of options to build a good stable position in the field.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Magpul MS1 is a relatively lightweight sling with plenty of options to build a good stable position in the field.

Have any suggestions for the padded versus non-padded considering most of the carrying will be done in a gun bearer?

adamjp

FNG
I run the non-padded version on two of my rifles, a 6.5 SAUM at 7lb scoped and a 338 Norma at 8lb 3oz scoped.

In fact, I didn't even know they do a padded version!

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I run the non-padded version on two of my rifles, a 6.5 SAUM at 7lb scoped and a 338 Norma at 8lb 3oz scoped.

In fact, I didn't even know they do a padded version!

Thanks! I think I'll give the non padded a shot.

I use the Magpul RLS sling as it lacks some unnecessary (in a hunting scenario) tri-glide/slider hardware that the MS series uses. The RLS is more along the lines of a lightweight Rhodesian style sling and have found it to be a great option for backcountry use....