Sleeping Pads

TylerS105

FNG
I am looking for a new cold weather sleeping pad on a budget. I am 6'5" tall and like to sleep on my side and I am having a hard time finding a sleeping pad that would fit me well. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem or has some experience with various pads. I want it to keep me warm on those colder nights, let me know what you think.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What kind of budget are we talking? That'll help narrow it down. Most good cold weather pads that fit those criteria are gonna be on the higher priced side

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's hard to beat the Neo Air Xtherm for colder conditions. I'm a side sleeper as well, and the pad served me well for over 30 nights this year. They make a 77" long version, but that may be short for someone of your height...

OP
TylerS105

TylerS105

FNG
What kind of budget are we talking? That'll help narrow it down. Most good cold weather pads that fit those criteria are gonna be on the higher priced side

I'd like to keep it under or around $150 if possible, but I'm open to other options

I'm not sure if Big Agnes has discontinued their "Insulated Air Core Ultra" line or not. If you can find one in a talll wide that might be the pad for you. they are typically cheaper than the winter pads from thermorest or nemo but still offer r-4.5. I know he regular size can be had for ~100.

svivian

WKR
Nemo Tensor in a 25" wide long model. should be about that price range. Very warm and comfortable. I'm 235lbs and 6'4" and have used it for the last 4 years. Im a side and stomach sleeper.

svivian

WKR
I took a piece of tyvex from a construction site and cut it to the size I wanted. Then I washed it about 10 times to soften it and make it quieter.

I have used several different sleep pads over the years. My favorite is the Xped Downmat XP9. This mat has down fill in which the insulation value is high yet it seems to regulate the temp better than others I have tried. The best part beyond its insulation is that is doesn't sound like I am sleeping on a plastic bag. I cant handle the loud crinkling sound every time I move!

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
We have an updated line at EXPED this year. Ultra and Dura would the two I'd focus on. Pick the r-value you need 3, 5, or 7/8 and then pick your size. Bonus for this year, the LW is the same price as the Medium! Stock is just now starting to arrive so you'll see it on our site and at retailer locations in the coming weeks.

Matt G.

WKR
Nemo Tensor in a 25" wide long model. should be about that price range. Very warm and comfortable. I'm 235lbs and 6'4" and have used it for the last 4 years. Im a side and stomach sleeper.
I am a side sleeper as well. Is the 3" height enough. I was looking at ones 3.5 and 4 because I did not want to bottom out.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

DWhite213

FNG
Backpacking or camping near the truck? Your price range is going to limit your selection of lightweight insulated pads, but there should still be some good options out there.

svivian

WKR
I am a side sleeper as well. Is the 3" height enough. I was looking at ones 3.5 and 4 because I did not want to bottom out.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
For me yes since I like my pad firmer. If you were to let more air out for a softer feeling pad then I’m not sure I’ll have to try it out and let you know. REI (not that I would buy it there) has them usually on display to be tried out.

I am looking for a new cold weather sleeping pad on a budget. I am 6'5" tall and like to sleep on my side and I am having a hard time finding a sleeping pad that would fit me well. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem or has some experience with various pads. I want it to keep me warm on those colder nights, let me know what you think.
Klymit Static V luxe insulated. I am also 6’5

GotDraw?

WKR
I'm not sure if Big Agnes has discontinued their "Insulated Air Core Ultra" line or not. If you can find one in a talll wide that might be the pad for you. they are typically cheaper than the winter pads from thermorest or nemo but still offer r-4.5. I know he regular size can be had for ~100.
They discontinued that pad because it had a reputation for leaking
JL

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sea to Summit Ether Lite Xtreme insulated, wait to catch it on sale and you can get it around $160 or so. 4in thick, R Value of 6.3 or so. Heavier than an Xtherm and bulkier, but 1.5in thicker and quieter. For weight to warmth you can't beat an Xtherm, but man that 4in thick with a pillow on it is $$$ for sleep

Crayton

FNG
Depending how cold you plan to go keep in mind that you can layer pads for r-value. It could be better for you to add a $20 foam pad under another air pad for a 1-2.0 bump in r-value compared to buying a true winter pad.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Sea to Summit Ether Lite Xtreme insulated, wait to catch it on sale and you can get it around $160 or so. 4in thick, R Value of 6.3 or so. Heavier than an Xtherm and bulkier, but 1.5in thicker and quieter. For weight to warmth you can't beat an Xtherm, but man that 4in thick with a pillow on it is $$$ for sleep

This is what I picked up last year and it is comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the packed size.

sneaky

"DADDY"
This is what I picked up last year and it is comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the packed size.
Yep, it's a lot bulkier than my other pads. Comfortable though. What's that saying? Boots and beds, if you're not in one you're in the other. Lot to be said about comfortable sleep.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
Im a side/belly sleeper and have had very good results using the Exped Synmat 7 and the Downmat 9 when its colder. They have been a game-changer for my sleep in the field. Highly recommended.