Sleeping pads & wide or regular

RDT415

FNG
I’ve had a regular Neoair Xlite for years and wish I went with the wide version. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve fallen asleep just to fall off the side and think about why I should’ve gotten the regular wide. Worth the few extra bucks and ounces as mentioned above.

I have always been envious of people who could sleep on narrow tiny pads. I have to have a wide pad because I toss and turn all night, rolling off your pad sucks and it prevents me from sleeping well knowing I’m going to fall off if I try to get comfortable. I have a klymit static V at the moment.

ljalberta

WKR
All previously owned pads are regular width. Any pad I buy in the future will be wide width.

ni7ne

FNG
I am 6'6" and can use both interchangeably in the summer. A more compact pack is sometimes nice.
In the winter, calves and feet on the ground is not ideal.
While this is more about long than wide, those seem to go together with some manufacturers.

J31Bodie

FNG
I couldn't use a regular width pad at all, and greatly prefer the rectangular wide pads versus mummy shape. At 6'-0", a regular length is a little short if I try to stay fully on the pad, but I usually use my pack for a pillow just off the top of the pad, which helps on length. I wish someone would make a 28-30 inch wide pad at 74 inch length.
Take a look at the Big Agnes Boundary Deluxe pad. It's 30" wide and 78" long, works GREAT and is durable and extremely comfortable. I really love mine. I'm 6'3" and 315lbs, 40" waist and size 56 jacket; I need a bigger and durable sleeping pad. That's the one I take pretty much for everything.

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
Any reviews on the Kilos Gear pad? Don’t need long/wide but thinking about it. Delete if not aloud and hopefully this isn’t considered piggybacking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WKR
I never slept well on my old weight weenie mummy pad. I bought a long/wide Exped and will never go back. The improvement in sleep quality is worth the few oz penalty.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
That boundary pad is pretty heavy! I’m impressed you’d carry that in the woods!

Jon_G

WKR
I can't remember which version of the big agnes pad I have but I think it's one of their UL models that's like $175. I can't remember what model it is exactly because I only used it twice. I bought a thermarest neoair Xlite NXT pad and never used the big agnes again. I never got around to returning the big agnes. My point is, I did a ton of research and the thermarest always came out on top on reviews. It's more comfortable and a couple of ounces lighter if you're counting them. They also have a tiny air pump that weighs next to nothing and works great.

All that said, if you're not backpack hunting or are limited weight and space, there's absolutely nothing more comfortable than an exped megamat. I told myself I wouldn't spend that much on an air mattress and when I finally bought the regular size I ended up with the duo for my wife and kids as well lol. Get one at REI so if you really don't like you can return it for a full refund. I promise you they're worth it though.

CODisco

FNG
Wider is always better if you have the room and don’t mind a little extra weight. I’m not a big guy, but I like to have a place for my arms. I use a 30” MondoKing (Thermarest.com) in my Badger Bed 30 bedroll (bornoutdoor.com) when I’m not carrying everything on my back. Super comfortable with a R7 insulation rating.

Jon_G

WKR
Sleep is important. Don't skimp on a few bucks or ounces and sacrifice comfort. +1 for the Exped megamat. But it is heavy.
Definitely very heavy. The guys I hunt with drive to the hunting spot and set up camp there so I'm not limited on weight. So the megamat comes with me everywhere lol

meconium

FNG
Definitely very heavy. The guys I hunt with drive to the hunting spot and set up camp there so I'm not limited on weight. So the megamat comes with me everywhere lol
I just got one for the bed of my truck. Super excited to use it this season! No more falling off tiny air mattresses in the middle of the night

Jon_G

WKR
I just got one for the bed of my truck. Super excited to use it this season! No more falling off tiny air mattresses in the middle of the night
Man you're in for a very restful night when compared to a tiny mattress lol. Don't make the mistake I made initially of pumping it up all the way. It's like a rock when pumping it up all the way. These are more comfortable with less air. I know we're all different but you'll see lol