Sleeping pad r-value

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trying to see if I can shed weight, increase comfort and at least maintain temp rating.
my current system is either a 20 or 30 degree bag (3 &2.5 pounds) my pad is 1.5 pounds r-value of maybe 1.

looking at a new pad that is 19.2 oz, r-value 4.4. This saves 4.2oz and gains a lot of insulation. Would the r-value increase be enough to allow me to run my 30 degree bag more often thus saving another 8 ounces? Main use is through sept in Colorado below 10,000ft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I just got a thermarest Xtherm. 15 oz and R value of over 5, but spendy at $200.

... Would the r-value increase be enough to allow me to run my 30 degree bag more often thus saving another 8 ounces? Main use is through sept in Colorado below 10,000ft.

The cold ground and an R value of 1 is going to allow a whole bunch of thermal transfer to be sucked out of you from the ground. You will still need a bag good enough to keep your topside warm, but you should notice a significant difference. As such, you might be able to get away with your 30 degree bag, depending on temps.

rayporter

WKR
get all the r you can, like bubblehide says the ground will suck the heat out of you.

in my few [ lets say decades ] camping i dont believe any of the numbers published for pads. i have had so called good pads that required us to gather everything in camp to put under us. tarps -saddle pads -horse blankets-extra clothes when on cold ground.

i carry a thin closed cell pad that is about a quarter in. thick and 4 ft long to put down to sit, kneel or add to my x-therm. it has saved the night when temps went lowwwwwer than expected.

so you will have to test it to find out if what looks logical will hold true!

Yes yes and yes. I run a western mountaineering summer lite which is a 32 degree bag coupled with a xped winter lite with a r-value a tad over 5. This allows me to go well under the 32 degree bag rating with a base layer and be comfy into the 20's.

Klymit static v insulated. R value around 4 faiy comfortable and can be found for under 80 usually. Weighs about a pound or so

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Klymit static v insulated. R value around 4 faiy comfortable and can be found for under 80 usually. Weighs about a pound or so
That's the one I'm looking at. Are the v shaped baffles comfortable?

It's ok. I have an rei camp bed 3.5 that is more comfortable but weighs like 7 lbs. I think for the price it is the best compromise I could find for r value thickness and weight.

If you don't inflate it to max the v baffles aren't noticeble but if you like to over inflate your other pads to a firmer surface then the baffles may bother you

wl704

FNG
Anybody have experience with the Insulated Nemo Tensor? No listed r values, < 1lb and ~$120...

deadwolf

WKR
I have a Nemo air lite 25L (non insulated) and a Klymit static v lite insulated, both new to me this winter. Not a night spent with either of them yet. Taking away the insulated vs non insulated factor, I set them up tonight and the Nemo was quite a bit more comfy that the Klymit. Lighter, horizontal baffles, and I was surprised how much I liked the built in pillow. If I'm not needing the insulating factor the Nemo will be my "go to".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk