Sleeping pad inside sleeping bag?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Anybody do it? I don’t care what my setup is, I end up on the ground and my pad next to me every single night. I just bought a new bag, a little larger mummy bag and I think my sleeping bad will fit. Strongly considering putting it in my bag!

atmat

WKR
Try it and report back. Part of me imagines you’d lose some insulative properties — but maybe not?

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I buy a size up on sleeping bags purposefully to do what you suggest!
Damn, I guess I’m not as smart and clever as I thought I was! I’ll give it a shot next trip.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Try it and report back. Part of me imagines you’d lose some insulative properties — but maybe not?
I think so too. I eat a little bit of packability for a nicer, thicker, higher r value pad so I think it might be ok. I’ll try and report back.

svivian

WKR
As said above big Agnes park series has the sleeves

In regards to the insulation it doesn’t matter on the bottom as your body compresses the insulation losing its warmth. That’s why quilts work well as you have more warmth and insulation on you for the same weight and fill.

grfox92

WKR
My buddy got the Big Agnus at a local second hand store. There is no insulation where the pad goes. It also doesn't pack down very small.

I havebt seen it yet but we are packing in for elk this weekend and I'll give it a little review for you.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Did it once in my zero degree bag… FROZE my ass off… ended up starting my hike 2 hours before sun up because I couldn’t stand it anymore and needed to warm up. I believe it got down to around 30 degrees that night.

My bag fits me normally but when I slipped my small pad in it was slightly tight around me. I thought it would be fine but I learned my lesson!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just showing up to say Big A fixed that problem years ago… but Cnelk beat me to it

My son has a Sierra Design Cloud 9 that has a sleeve to hold the pad in place (and no insulation where the sleeve is). Its a nice light 20 deg down bag (under 2 lb) but I'd call it more of a 30 deg bag.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tried it but made the bag too cramped. Didn’t notice any difference in insulation performance and didn’t roll off either.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Have not tried the pad in bag method, but that's an interesting idea. I switched to a floorless shelter and had pretty good success keeping the pad under me using a bug bivy with little integrated bungee straps. The real key is getting so exhausted after a long day of hunting that you sleep like you're dead.

cnelk

WKR
I used to freeze my ass off in my BA 0 degree bag... until I made a 'system' for it.

The BA does have the sleeve for the Insulated Air Core mattress, but that mattress would suck the heat from the bag.

So I got one of those blue foam pads, cut it to fit my mummy bag and now I use that as a thermal break between me and the BA Insulated Air Core mattress.

Problem solved

KsRancher

WKR
I have a Big Agnes 0° bag. It has the pocket underneath for a air pad. I recommend the full size pad, not 3/4. But I would only stay comfortable down to the mid 20's. I had my wife sew me a fleece insert for it. It's shaped like the sleeping bag with an open top and partially open side. I think I could could sleep down to 0° and be fine. Never tried it when it's that cold though. Been in it at 10° and was just fine

Backyard

WKR
I used to freeze my ass off in my BA 0 degree bag... until I made a 'system' for it.

The BA does have the sleeve for the Insulated Air Core mattress, but that mattress would suck the heat from the bag.

So I got one of those blue foam pads, cut it to fit my mummy bag and now I use that as a thermal break between me and the BA Insulated Air Core mattress.

Problem solved

How thick is your blue foam? Brand if specific?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
Have not tried the pad in bag method, but that's an interesting idea. I switched to a floorless shelter and had pretty good success keeping the pad under me using a bug bivy with little integrated bungee straps. The real key is getting so exhausted after a long day of hunting that you sleep like you're dead.
This is one thing I really like about the Katabatic bivy and quilt. The bivy has cords attached to the floor; pad goes under those cords then the quilt attaches to the same cords. Everything held together relatively nice and tidy, very little opportunity for drafts. Less than ideal for emergency heads calls in the middle of the night.