Sleeping bag ?

kickemall

WKR
I have a chance to get a new sleeping bag that I have been wanting for a very reasonable price. The problem is that it is a "long" and being 5'10" I only need a regular. The weight difference is three ounces. Are there any other disavantages or possibly advantages to getting a long? I use a NeoAir Xlite pad that is a regular, would I need to get a long or just overhang? Thanks,

Dave

If your feet don't reach down into the footbox on the long, don't worry about the overhang. You can always fold it under if it bothers you, or put your clothes for the next day in the bottom of your bag so that they are warm for the next day and they will fill up the extra space in the bag to help you keep everything warm inside.

cmeier117

WKR
I wouldn't worry about, Could take longer to heat the bag up as there is wasted space, but like larry said, you could put socks or clothes down there to dry out etc.. If it is a good price and a bag you want go for it! What bag is it?

aron

WKR
My only concern (minus the weight penalty) was answered above. The dead space could get cold quicker but problem solved with shoving clothes in the foot area.

OP
K

kickemall

WKR
$265.00 shipped, used once, basically new. Its actually the spiral, not the super spiral. I'm still undecided, any thoughts?

cmeier117

WKR
That is a good price for an 800 fill down bag. Mine is the Super spiral however. It is a $125 off of the new price, it is a tough call. If it were the superspiral I would probably buy it. It is hard to find a 800 fill down bag under $300.

Thanks again. Its a Montbell U.L. super spiral #1.

I am 5'10 and I bought a long and have not had any problems with it being too long but I stuck some of my cloths in the bottom so they were warmer in the morning and it worked out fine, however I have not used it when it has gotten really cold, I used it down to 25 degrees last year and I still had to leave it unzipped because I keep waking up sweating.