Sleeping bag weight

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do any of you have experience with the big agnes bags? I like the semi rectangular feature instead of full blown mummy

a3dhunter

WKR
Do any of you have experience with the big agnes bags? I like the semi rectangular feature instead of full blown mummy

Yes, it's a nice feature, but found it can also lead to being a little colder in the foot box due to the cut. I would rather have a little room than have my feet feel like they couldn't move. Will be hard to try another bag for me.

my feathered friends 20deg is 1lb 15oz.
if youve got the cash i wouldnt buy a bag over 2lb 5oz for a 20deg. sub 2lb even better but probably $3-400

I have a Marmot Pounder Plus bag that has served me well. It is a Primaloft filled bag if you like synthetics. Marmot has it listed at 2 pounds 2 ounces. My scale says about 3 ounces more for mine. It has a 25 degree rating. I have used mine into the teens comfortably. Threy are reasonably priced at around $200.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
My hammock gear 40F quilt weighs in at 15.25oz, my 20F quilt weighs in at 21.1oz(1lbs 5.1oz), and my 0F quilt weighs in at 26.0oz(1lbs 10oz).

shanevg

WKR
http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml

40 degree bag - 11.8oz - $305
30 degree bag - 14.4oz - $325
20 degree bag - 17.1oz - $345
10 degree bag - 19.8oz - $365
You can remove zipper to save 0.6oz.
They also sell a 0.7oz stuff sack for the bags.

The above weights/prices are for a regular length (5'10" person). I have to purchase a long which adds 0.9oz-1.5oz depending on degree rating.
The bags do not have a head cinch so you either need to wear your beanie or a down jacket with a hood.

Another great option if you have a good hooded down jacket is to contact Feathered Friends (although I'm sure ZPacks would do it for you too.) My father in law had them make a cusotm bag for him with less stuffing on the upper half of his body and no head cover so he could wear his hooded down jacket in the bag. I think the bottom half of the bag is rated to 0 degrees and the top half is rated to 40 degrees and it weights 14-16oz (and packs down really small.) If you are going to be taking your puffy with you anways, this is a great option!

The bags do not have a head cinch so you either need to wear your beanie or a down jacket with a hood.

Another great option if you have a good hooded down jacket is to contact Feathered Friends (although I'm sure ZPacks would do it for you too.) My father in law had them make a cusotm bag for him with less stuffing on the upper half of his body and no head cover so he could wear his hooded down jacket in the bag. I think the bottom half of the bag is rated to 0 degrees and the top half is rated to 40 degrees and it weights 14-16oz (and packs down really small.) If you are going to be taking your puffy with you anways, this is a great option!
shane, have you seen some of the stuff nunatak makes? for instance http://nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/akula.htm

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
those half bag systems look pretty minimalist...

I think I will stick with a traditional hooded bag.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Pack lite, freeze your ass off at nite! Sometimes a little extra weight is good.

I use a Marmot Atom. 16 ounces and rated at 40*. I use it down into the 20's. I just wear my longjohns sometimes. Really looking at the nunatak quilts though. Makes sense to use a quilt since you compress the loft underneath you and its just about useless.

shanevg

WKR
Personally, I don't sleep with my head in the bag very often so the lack of a hood on the bag is not a big deal to me. I usually don't put my head in until temps are below 10* or so. We hit -10 in Co in 2011 and I was definitely bundled up then. That's why I think the ZPack bags are great for a 40* or 30* bag.

I also pack a puffy jacket with me on every hunt for those cold glassing sections. I try to avoid doubling up on gear as much as possible and one way to do that is use the hood on my puffy whle sleeping if I feel like I need one. (My puffy is used for winter/spring mountain climbing so a hood is necessary.)

shane, have you seen some of the stuff nunatak makes? for instance http://nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/akula.htm

I hadn't seen that particular bag before. Personally, I'd prefer to have something up top as it just seems like it'd feel weird to not actually have my torso be inside the bag at all, but that's just me. The weights on that bag don't look great but I'm sure ZPacks or Feathered Friends could make the same thing at a lower weight.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
My Mountain Hardware Phantom long, 0 degree weighs in a 2 lbs 10 oz. It is an 850 fill down bag that packs small and has never failed to keep me warm.

slim9300

WKR
I love my Marmot Hydrogen & Helium bags (both in long with the full zip).

With the waterproof stuff sack my Helium (15* bag) weighs 37.0 ounces.

Slim Jim

WKR
My Mountain Hardware Phantom long, 0 degree weighs in a 2 lbs 10 oz. It is an 850 fill down bag that packs small and has never failed to keep me warm.
That is my next bag to get for late season. I have the 32 degree and love it but its only good into the low 20s