Sleeping Bag VS Quilt

tdot

WKR
You mentioned KY and moderate climates. Is the 20 degree just for CO and you have your normal gear sorted?

If not, one option is to layer 2 quilts or a quilt and a bag. It gives you more versatility. Ie. A 30 degree bag covered by a 40 degree quilt will get you to 20 degrees, bump that to a 30 degree quilt and you'll be roasting at 20 degrees. Then you have a bag to keep out drafts and a quilt for the warmer nights..
The system may be slightly bulkier then a 20 degree bag, but its divided, so easier to pack.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
You mentioned KY and moderate climates. Is the 20 degree just for CO and you have your normal gear sorted?

If not, one option is to layer 2 quilts or a quilt and a bag. It gives you more versatility. Ie. A 30 degree bag covered by a 40 degree quilt will get you to 20 degrees, bump that to a 30 degree quilt and you'll be roasting at 20 degrees. Then you have a bag to keep out drafts and a quilt for the warmer nights..
The system may be slightly bulkier then a 20 degree bag, but its divided, so easier to pack.
I was gonna use it here to.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I think I'm going to stick with a sleeping bag, does anyone have any suggestions for a budget bag that is lightweight and not very bulky? I will mainly be using it in Ky and we have a pretty moderate climate.
I have a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 15° bag. It's light and compresses really well for a synthetic bag. I think the regular size weighs 3lb 1oz. My long bag compresses to about the size of a volleyball.
It's not as light as down but much easier on the wallet.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 15° bag. It's light and compresses really well for a synthetic bag. I think the regular size weighs 3lb 1oz. My long bag compresses to about the size of a volleyball.
It's not as light as down but much easier on the wallet.
Ill check it out!