Sleeping bag recommendations

mww982

WKR
I originally bought a Klymit SKB 15 sleeping bag for my September hunting trip and regretting that purchase, so I am looking to get something different. Looking for a recommendation for a 15 degree sleeping bag. I get a pretty good discount on Klymit, Big Agnes, Sea to Summit, and Kelty so looking to stay with one of those brands. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Big Agnes Lost Ranger UL 3N1 but open to other recommendations as well. Trying to stay sub $400.00 if I can.

Are you sure you’ll need a 15° bag for September? I guess better questions are; are you backpacking or hunting out of a base camp and where is it for? If it’s for the Rockies backpack hunting elk a 30° is plenty warm for me. In mid-late October the 20° bag comes along instead. You could save some significant weight. I sleep pretty warm so bear that in mind.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Are you sure you’ll need a 15° bag for September? I guess better questions are; are you backpacking or hunting out of a base camp and where is it for? If it’s for the Rockies backpack hunting elk a 30° is plenty warm for me. In mid-late October the 20° bag comes along instead. You could save some significant weight. I sleep pretty warm so bear that in mind.

Nope not sure if I need a 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nope not sure if I need a 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Here’s how I decide what bag to bring:

- Look at the historical weather data for the nearest town to your hunt area. The town should be very close to your hunt area in latitude.

- Look at the low temp and elevation for that town.

- Look at your hunt area and decide what the highest elevation you are likely to camp at.

- On average the temperature difference is -3.5°F per 1,000’ elevation gain.

- Calculate the expected temperature (round down to the nearest 5°).

- I do that then bring a bag rated to about 10° warmer than expected temps.

In other words if the calculated low is 20° I bring my 30° bag as I sleep warm and can always wear my beanie and my insulation layer if I feel a little chilly.

I have four sleeping bags to choose from. I always bring a warmer one to leave in the truck. Then I can swap or if necessary sleep in the truck without unpacking.

I can’t remember if you are going to keep the Klymit bag. I would keep it and buy a 30° bag. Then you have a small quiver to choose from and can leave one in the truck. Any 15° bag is going to be a little heavy/bulky unless you spend big bucks on 850 fill or better down.

Last edited:
I just looked up your Klymit SKB 15 sleeping bag. Holy smokes that is pretty heavy. 3 lbs 6 ounces. My 0° is only 4 ounces heavier and my 20° is a whole pound lighter. If you aren’t opposed to synthetic you should check out the Marmot Trestles Elite 20°. It weighs 2 lbs 6 oz (without the stuff sack). I strictly use synthetic. Mostly because I’m allergic to down but my silver lining is I don’t have to be quite so neurotic about it getting damp.

Gone4Days

WKR
If you get a discount on those bags, i’m guessing you get a Nemo discount. Get a Nemo 15° Riff spoon style bag. $239 and less than 2.5 lbs.

Last edited:

CO-AJ

WKR
For compressability and weight go down. I did and absolutely love the bag, granted the down will be more expensive and you want to keep it dry. Make sure to get a good insulted pad to go with it. I am running a western mountaineering bag and an exped pad. I am not under your 400.00 budget, but you may be able to skimp on the bag just a bit and get a better pad and come out ok.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
For compressability and weight go down. I did and absolutely love the bag, granted the down will be more expensive and you want to keep it dry. Make sure to get a good insulted pad to go with it. I am running a western mountaineering bag and an exped pad. I am not under your 400.00 budget, but you may be able to skimp on the bag just a bit and get a better pad and come out ok.
I already have a pad, it's a sea to summit ether light XT (rectangle large).

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I just looked up your Klymit SKB 15 sleeping bag. Holy smokes that is pretty heavy. 3 lbs 6 ounces. My 0° is only 4 ounces heavier and my 20° is a whole pound lighter. If you aren’t opposed to synthetic you should check out the Marmot Trestles Elite 20°. It weighs 2 lbs 6 oz (without the stuff sack). I strictly use synthetic. Mostly because I’m allergic to down but my silver lining is I don’t have to be quite so neurotic about it getting damp.
That's part of the reason I regret buying it, it would make a better car camping or stationary camping bag.