Sleeping bag options

Redmist

FNG
I hunt from labor day weekend through the first week or so of November. What do you guys do for sleeping bag systems over that range of temperature. Most all my hunting is in Idaho. I have had a couple archery elk hunts be 15 degrees at night.

I was thinking about getting the Wiggys FRSS system to cover it all? I will be packing with goats so the weight won't be a problem. I like the idea of +40 down to -20

What do you guys do?

kodiakfly

WKR
I'm a Wiggy's guy. I don't use the FRSS, as it never gets that cold here. But I've got a 15* Glacier from Wiggy's Alaska and a couple of their 0* bags. I may have a brand new 0* for sale and a used 0* for sale in the coming weeks. I need to thin the herd.

And Wiggy's aren't the monsters everyone says they are. Yes, they're bigger and heavier than a down bag or a quilt. But even my 0* bags aren't bad and they fit in a 20L compression bag, which is comparable to other synthetic bags. My Glacier fits with room to spare in a 15L bag and is just under 4 lbs.

They're also more accommodating to those of us who like cheeseburgers and beer.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
I definitely like there size as I don't sleep well in mummy bags. Plus they seem to be reasonably priced.

kodiakfly

WKR
Well it's still a mummy shape, but they're roomy. If you move up to their hunter series, those things go like 6 lbs. I've slept in one and it was like sleeping at home in bed, but they're for float trips.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I really don't see a need for a bag that goes to -20 in those time frames. I live in N Idaho and use a 15 degree WM bag for most of my trips even into December.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
Well it's still a mummy shape, but they're roomy. If you move up to their hunter series, those things go like 6 lbs. I've slept in one and it was like sleeping at home in bed, but they're for float trips.

The hunter series is what I was going to get.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
I really don't see a need for a bag that goes to -20 in those time frames. I live in N Idaho and use a 15 degree WM bag for most of my trips even into December.

If I got the hunter ultralight it is rated +20 so I could probably use that throughout my hunts. Maybe I wouldn't need the second bag. I hunt around Stanley, which maybe I don't need -20 but I would never be cold for sure.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I have slept with no shelter down to 5 degrees with my WM Badger. I had a Big Agnes insulated pad and merino top and bottom on. I was never even slightly cold. I am a hot sleeper though. But I thought I was going to die in a NF cat's meow bag at 25 degrees when I got in it a little wet, quality matters IME! I don't see you having an issue with a quality bag from the 0 to 15 degree range. I would look at Wiggy's, WM, Kifaru, Marmot and Mont bell.... This week I will be putting a Enlightened quilt to the test, it should be in the 5 to 10 degree range at night.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
I looked at WM and Kifaru. Will check out Mont Bell and Marmot

this was my first season using an Enlightened quilt. a 20 degree. did 15 nights this season and loved it. although, im definately a hot sleeper too. this was CO archery season

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
Looked at the enlightened equipment. What's the appeal to them? Looks like they would be roomy

Looked at the enlightened equipment. What's the appeal to them? Looks like they would be roomy

I own Wiggys, WM and EE (bought a 3rd EE off this site today) and they all have their place IMHO. It just depends on the trip. If I am backpacking a ton of weight uphill at high elevations I wanna EE quilt or WM bag cuz they're very light and warm but if I'm in a wet environment, gonna be crossing a lot of water or in snow then I am in my Wiggys. In some places (especially in AK) Wiggys is all you'll find being sold. That stuff is great and lives up to it's temp rating even when soaking wet. Trust me, i've tested it to its limits.

I've got 35-40 nights in my EE quilts so far. I picked up a 30* off the classifieds to try that the wife is adopting because it's a little short for me and a 20* long that I purchased new. I am very happy with them and in my experience, their temp ratings are spot on. I've used the 30* from 26*-50* and I've been in the 20* from 18*-45*. My concerns about using a quilt as a guy who tosses and turns while sleeping were not a problem. When it's warmer, I wear some lightweight merino and skip the straps. When dipping a little below the temp rating, I used the straps and wore some mid weight merino. If you anticipate cooler temps during your hunt, maybe look at a 10* quilt. I am now a fan of quilts. I like the size and weight savings and find them easy to get a great night's sleep.

I also own a couple of Wiggy's bags for winter camping. I think that the coldest that I've been in my Wiggy's thus far is about -12*.

Thought I'd share my thoughts as a guy who hesitated to use a quilt, but I have not put these sleep systems through the paces extensively. Weigh my input accordingly.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
Thanks guys for your feedback. Bruce Idaho has the potential for some rain and snow but nothing like Alaska I imagine.

I toss and turn a lot as well. Mummy bags make me feel clostriphobic. Maybe the quilt is the way to go.

I'm not quite sure about the real water resistance of the downtek. The jury is still out on that. I'm hoping to avoid putting it to the test.