Sleeping bag help...

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so I'm looking to get a new bag this season but I need some help from you guys. I'm looking for a 40° bag that's gonna be light weight and that's gonna compress really nice to save space. I'm also looking to save as much in cost as possible...

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at some of the less expensive down options out there from Kelty or Sierra Designs, but, obviously, as you go up in fill power the bags will go down in weight and be more compressible, so, like everything in life, it's a trade-off. If you have an REI near you, become a member and try to go make it to a couple of their "garage sales" to check things out. It can be hit or miss, but every now and then you can find some pretty good deals. The last one I went to with my wife we found her an Osprey 62 liter pack that was barely used for less than half of its original cost and a Kelty 20* down bag that didn't even look like it had been used for $30. We didn't need the sleeping bag and it only has 550 power down, but at that price it was hard to pass-up even if the dog ends up using it when we camp in the winter. They also had a bunch of the Sierra Designs Zissou - I think that's the model - 40* down bags priced between $75 and $90. Keep your eyes on the classifieds here, too.

OP
G5Archer

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at some of the less expensive down options out there from Kelty or Sierra Designs, but, obviously, as you go up in fill power the bags will go down in weight and be more compressible, so, like everything in life, it's a trade-off. If you have an REI near you, become a member and try to go make it to a couple of their "garage sales" to check things out. It can be hit or miss, but every now and then you can find some pretty good deals. The last one I went to with my wife we found her an Osprey 62 liter pack that was barely used for less than half of its original cost and a Kelty 20* down bag that didn't even look like it had been used for $30. We didn't need the sleeping bag and it only has 550 power down, but at that price it was hard to pass-up even if the dog ends up using it when we camp in the winter. They also had a bunch of the Sierra Designs Zissou - I think that's the model - 40* down bags priced between $75 and $90. Keep your eyes on the classifieds here, too.
Thanks for the input. We have the REI flagship store here in Denver so I'll definitely check that out.

1hoda

Banned
Backcountry.com, backcountry gear.com , etc have regular sales on lots of gear including bags.

Matt990

FNG
I would check out Steepandcheap.com as well backcountry.coms affiliate they are having a good sale on sleeping bags right now.

tttoadman

WKR
Don't miss camofire and sierra trading post. They don't always offer the high end "800 +" bags, but for a midweight bag it isn't going to make as much difference.

I would question what you plan to do with a 40deg bag. I cant think of too many big game hunting scenarios where that would be adequate.

OP
G5Archer

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! Now I've got some homework to do....

OP
G5Archer

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Don't miss camofire and sierra trading post. They don't always offer the high end "800 +" bags, but for a midweight bag it isn't going to make as much difference.

I would question what you plan to do with a 40deg bag. I cant think of too many big game hunting scenarios where that would be adequate.
The bag is mainly for early season archery elk.. I don't want to much bag to lug around plus I plan on wearing layers if needed at night. If you have any info or advice for me on this I'd appreciate it.

conhawa

Lil-Rokslider
A 15 to 20 degree bag is a good "all around" bag. If you get one with 700 or 800 down...it will pack down very small.

jmez

WKR
Eureka Silver City 30 degree bag. Light, packs down to nothing, and has kept me warm into the 20's. Cost around $75.

n2horns

WKR
look at quilts, down if you can afford it or synthetic. I have Enlightened Equipment, Tim is the owner Email/call and ask if he has anything as 2nds etc...

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Western Mountaineering Summerlite (32 degree) I just posted for sale on a site 30 seconds ago. It's in great shape and I'm letting it go for half what I paid for it. It weighs 21 oz. and packs down tiny. Let me know if you're interested.

If you aren't opposed to quilts, I would suggest checking out the Kifaru Woobie. I love mine. I think it performs down to around 35 degrees or so.

rodney482

WKR
Where you hunting in Sept where the temps are in the 50's at night?

I also dont recommend wearing layers in your bag.