Sleeping Bag Choices ?

I have a TNF Cats Meow 20 degree bag that I am a little concerned about the temperature rating. I am looking to purchase a new bag and I have narrowed down the choices between these two bags. I will be using it in mid September in Colorado a 8k to 10k.
1)Kifaru Slick Bag either 20 or 0 in long and wide
2)Montbell UL Super Spiral #1.
Im 6'5 225 and an active sleeper so I need room. My major concern is accurate temperature rating. I know the Kifaru uses Climashield Combat and my TNF Cats Meow uses Climashield Prism. Will there be much difference between the K slick 20 and TNF Cats Meow 20 to justify spending the extra coin? Would i be better off going with the Montbell or the K Slick 0 ? Thanks for you guys input it always helps me make the best choices on gear.

Long Slick Bag Wide

+ 20° Slick Bag
2 lbs., 4 oz / 1.5 kg
343.00 $377.00

0° Slick Bag
2 lb., 17 oz / 1.4 kg
2.5 oz. / .07 kg.
$386.00 $425.00

Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger #1 Long 15 degree
Weight: 2 lbs. 4 oz.
$355.20

akrdkill

WKR
from what i hear the slick bag is pretty true to temp rating & i think you'll have more room in it. never owned a NF cats meow but heard they can be snug in the shoulders.....sleeping bags are like clothing, every one's got their style. i don't like my sleeping bag tight fitting, but that's me. If your leaning towards a Montbell find a spot you can return it to if you don't like it, get it try it in the house, if ya don't like return it. The slick bag looks like it has the best room in the shoulders & at 6'5 i bet you could get Kifaru to add a few inches here & there as needed, talk to them...there great people

I have all of the bags you mentioned and find them all true to temp rating. It is really going to come down to personal preference. For me I take the Kifaru's more often due to the synthetic insulation...less worries about getting anything wet....although I have never had problems keeping a down bag dry.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
lg,

I would not consider myself a cold sleeper and I froze my butt of in the cats meow. Its rating is off by a bit in my opinion. I have slept in a Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger #1. 15. It was warm, but it only got down to 25 degrees. The montbell seems very thin to me compared to the Marmot helium that I have. I have never slept in the kifaru bag. But I suspect it would be true to its rating and if you are only going to use it during September I would go with the 20

Ryan

OP
L
I ordered the Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger #1 Long with the Montbell Bivy long and wide. I am gonna test it out and send it back if I don't like it. I was gonna get a Ti goat Bivy anyway but the Montbell makes a much larger one. I would most not be able to fit my neo air xlite in the Ti goat and I should be able to with the Montbell. Being big and tall has its disadvantages. Thanks for you guys help. I think this set up will be very versatile with the Bivy and the Shangrila 3.

aggieland

WKR
Fill a Nalgene bottle with hot water and place it in your bag with you.. It will boost the bags preformance a lot.. Or put it between your thighs on your Femoral artery and you will get really warm fast.. ;)