Sleep pads

199p

FNG
+1 for the gen 2 xthurm nxt in regular wide, Found having a little more room i sleep so much better

TX_Diver

WKR
Anyone seen any sales on the large/ neo air nxt lite? Looked a few spots around the 4th and didn’t see anything on sale?

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few Thermarest pads, big one from the 90's, a more lighter and shaped newer one. I also have a Kryptec static V pad that I like. I tried a thicker pad, it was horrible but it was an off brand.

Hey, first time posting on here. Been scouring posts for an answer… wife just got me an Xtherm NXT max as it was the best rated. I understand the crinkly lessens with use, but the biggest issue I am finding so far is it is slippery. My SG Chilkoot 15 on it seems super slippery… tempted to switch to an Exped with its thicker edges but it seems they got rid of the direct competitor the synmat 7. The Ultra 7R is close but 20D ripstop vs the Xtherm bottom being 70D.
Does anyone find the slippery texture an issue sleeping on it, or any reccomendations on the current Exped competitor?
Thanks in advance, and apologies if I missed the answer to this somewhere.
You can put a little 3m textured tape on the pad to reduce the slipping

SonnyDay

WKR
I have them both and the new Nemo tensor extreme. I’m taking the Xtherm this fall to AK again.
I am trying to decide between the Nemo Tensor Extreme Conditions Ultralite Insulated and the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm NXT. I was leaning toward the Nemo... but am curious why you'd pick the XTherm over the Nemo?

Noise? Comfort? Reliability?

Thanks!

I am trying to decide between the Nemo Tensor Extreme Conditions Ultralite Insulated and the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm NXT. I was leaning toward the Nemo... but am curious why you'd pick the XTherm over the Nemo?

Thanks!
I've had both, and I personally see a negligible difference in comfort. The XTherm is a bit louder, but that doesn't bother me, and the difference in R-value is minimal for practical use. My XTherm is (per mfg. specs) 6oz lighter (in the comparable size). I also view the XTherm as more "reliable" or having more longevity because of the heavier materials used. So, XTherm for me!

SonnyDay

WKR
I've had both, and I personally see a negligible difference in comfort. The XTherm is a bit louder, but that doesn't bother me, and the difference in R-value is minimal for practical use. My XTherm is (per mfg. specs) 6oz lighter (in the comparable size). I also view the XTherm as more "reliable" or having more longevity because of the heavier materials used. So, XTherm for me!
Appreciate the input!

Nemo recently came out with a sleeping pad with an r-value of like 8 or something crazy and its pretty light, worth checking out. I use a thermarest xtherm on cold nights and it does well, when it dies I'll check out the new nemo one.

Nemo recently came out with a sleeping pad with an r-value of like 8 or something crazy and its pretty light, worth checking out. I use a thermarest xtherm on cold nights and it does well, when it dies I'll check out the new nemo one.
Referencing the Nemo Tensor Extreme Conditions UL Insulated above!

Jt89

FNG
I am well aware that for a lot of you guys who hunt in areas with bears and other predators etc this is probably not a wise move - but my ultralight fix for a crinkly noisy sleeping pad is to take two foam earplugs and jam them right in until I feel them tickling my brain. Also works great for sharing a tent or hut with a buddy who snores. Can't hear shit, sleep like a baby. Helps if you trust your tent not to rip apart in a sudden storm as well.

JordanM

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks!
Well I bought my dad a Xtherm NXT, so we can shed the measly 1.2 ounce in the inflation sack by running the same pad. I do like the tensor extreme as it is the square one versus the mummy Xtherm. Noise doesn’t bother me as the NXT Xtherm is less “crinkly” than the previous model. The Nemo is a few ounces heavier but honestly I have ran the Xtherm a bunch, well the old model for years now, and I really trust it. We’ll be remote AK and have our camp on our back so being a weight weenie and trying to lighten up where possible. By the way the Nemo is dead silent. Great pad. My most comfortable is the REI helix insulated. Awesome for a side sleeper but heavy and don’t trust it. I hope this muddied the waters for your choice haha.

SonnyDay

WKR
Well I bought my dad a Xtherm NXT, so we can shed the measly 1.2 ounce in the inflation sack by running the same pad. I do like the tensor extreme as it is the square one versus the mummy Xtherm. Noise doesn’t bother me as the NXT Xtherm is less “crinkly” than the previous model. The Nemo is a few ounces heavier but honestly I have ran the Xtherm a bunch, well the old model for years now, and I really trust it. We’ll be remote AK and have our camp on our back so being a weight weenie and trying to lighten up where possible. By the way the Nemo is dead silent. Great pad. My most comfortable is the REI helix insulated. Awesome for a side sleeper but heavy and don’t trust it. I hope this muddied the waters for your choice haha.
Yeah, it seems like they (mostly) fixed the noise issue with the XTherm. I've had Therm-a-Rest pads for 30+ years, and honestly haven't thought of them as a modern backpacking brand.... but it sounds like they've realized this is an important market and are putting some good stuff out there. I get the reliability piece.

And then just to completely confuse matters the new ZenBivy Flex Air gets pretty good reviews on comfort. Not sure how their stuff does on reliability.

Thanks for the reply. Hope the AK hunt is awesome!

Beendare

WKR
I am well aware that for a lot of you guys who hunt in areas with bears and other predators etc this is probably not a wise move - but my ultralight fix for a crinkly noisy sleeping pad is to take two foam earplugs and jam them right in until I feel them tickling my brain.
Ha, thats funny.

I'm hoping the little bit of crinkle sound keeps the bears away. Grin.

I'm Elk hunting solo in ID and the one spot I plan for a spike camp has bear scat every 20'- they are living in there for sure.

There is some crinkle noise to that new Thermarest NXT, but not anything like that older yellow version. I noticed it the first night I used it...but after that, no problem. Coming from an Exped, I noticed it at first as the Exped is silent.

BTW, I don't know if anyone mentioned it but....American made....which is cool.

huntsd

WKR
I had the xlight, it was loud and i'd always roll off. Sacrificed a few ounces and went bigger with the big agnes rapid. I sleep much better now

I had the xlight, it was loud and i'd always roll off. Sacrificed a few ounces and went bigger with the big agnes rapid. I sleep much better now
The BA Rapide SL is my favorite sleeping pad, but the warmth doesn't compare to the XTherm for cold conditions.

TX_Diver

WKR
Just ordered an nxt x lite max size large. 1lb 4oz for a rectangular 25"x77" pad. Will report back after first trip in a month or so.